Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just changed my headgasket and put in studs. on cylinder 3 the intake rocker arm was removed before and got stripped. they used a helicoil to repair the threads. when i torqued that bolt it pulled out the coil. i then drilled it out and put in an insert supplied by the local machine shop. the metal of the insert got stripped by the bolt when i went to torque it< which is only 27 ft-lbs> does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this. thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
What kind of insert did the machine shop install? I used to do this stuff quite often, there's no way a competent shop should have this happen if they used a proper insert.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can buy a bigger Helicoil that will allow you to replace the striped insert and use the factory stud size.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of insert did the machine shop install? I used to do this stuff quite often, there's no way a competent shop should have this happen if they used a proper insert.
i dont know the exact metal but the factory bolt stripped out the inside of the insert when i went to torque it. the insert came out of the head fine. it is metalic but i can scrape it away with a knife. it seems real soft

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can buy a bigger Helicoil that will allow you to replace the striped insert and use the factory stud size.
that is what i did for the most recent try

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have almost the same issue.

The metal of the insert got stripped by the bolt when i went to torque it< which is only 27 ft-lbs> does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this. thanks.
They should only be Torqued to 18ft-lbs! Did the insert work well? Are you running 110Lbs valve Springs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts