Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I see CHP inspection pickup trucks roaming California highways on a monthly basis! Logging trucks are their favorite target in my area. A buddy of mine was stopped at a temporary inspection station on highway 41 making his way to Huckfest in Pismo Beach. They wrote him up for mud flaps and bead-locks.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.

I call BS! I drive a truck for work that is a GVWR of 26,000lbs and I have to stop at all check point stations. I’ve also had pickups with flatbeds, enclosed boxes, and utility beds. All of those vehicles have to stop. I did not know this the first time I drove the first flatbed that I had and was run down by a chp officer for not stopping.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Law enforcement stopping a private vehicle under 26001 lbs with out reasonable suspicion is a violation of your 4th amendment rights. Unless you are "rolling coal" or breaking another law, you cannot be stopped for what this guy was stopped for. I've been a police officer /detective for 15 years and that's never heard of this.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
He probably rolled some coal. Seems most deleted trucks towing a heavy trailer seem to blow some black smoke under normal acceleration. Some bored officer probably saw and and said what the heck.

Not paying it would be a risky proposal. An unpaid ticket can actually prevent you from renewing you insurance, your vehicle registration and can even cause you license to be suspended. Many states, actually most states share this information with other states, especially neighboring states. You better know how your state handles it before choosing to ignore it and never go back. Plus once a warrant is issue, and it will be it remains open and any trip back to that state would put you at risk.

·
Registered
280 Posts
https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-operations/legal-truck-access/weigh-stations

PICKUP -- It depends on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), unladen weight, and bed of the truck.

GVWR under 11,500 pounds, unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- NO.
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.
Things may have changed since I fled, but flatbeds and service bodies definitely were supposed to pull in. Did they? Far from always.

A friend of mine worked a few miles from a scale (both sides of the road) and drove by multiple times per day in his service bodied Ram 3500.
Sometimes he was told not to bother, other times the company got a phone call telling them that the drivers better stop, or else.
That company recently relocated, partially to avoid the hassle with the scales.

Having spent many hours at those particular scales (discussing my RV's licensing status), as well as talking to my BIT inspector about it, and at scales across the West, I have a decent idea about what they like to see pull in, and what they don't.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES.
That would be me, these days. So did I pull in at the scales when in CA recently? Nope.
Yes, I knew that I should have, but the odds that they'd chase me down were slim, I figured.

Part of the reason behind getting a 3500 and a toyhauler was to get away from all that nonsense that I had to endure with my Class 8 based RV when it was registered in CA.
Heck, some guy with a 3-inch stack of paperwork hauling hazmat could be out of the chicken coop in two minutes. I sometimes spent 30 minutes while they tried to figure out what to do with me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I see CHP inspection pickup trucks roaming California highways on a monthly basis! Logging trucks are their favorite target in my area. A buddy of mine was stopped at a temporary inspection station on highway 41 making his way to Huckfest in Pismo Beach. They wrote him up for mud flaps and bead-locks.
Correct, logging trucks are regulated vehicles in excess of 26,001 lbs. CHP can stop and inspect them without probable cause.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
Correct, logging trucks are regulated vehicles in excess of 26,001 lbs. CHP can stop and inspect them without probable cause.
I got the impression that he wasn't driving a logging truck to Pismo...with bead lock wheels.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I call BS! I drive a truck for work that is a GVWR of 26,000lbs and I have to stop at all check point stations. I’ve also had pickups with flatbeds, enclosed boxes, and utility beds. All of those vehicles have to stop. I did not know this the first time I drove the first flatbed that I had and was run down by a chp officer for not stopping.
Regardless of how you feel about me, what is BS is the OP's hearsay story. A pickup pulling a 5th wheel RV is not a commercial vehicle and it is NOT required to stop at a CHP weigh and inspection station.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I got the impression that he wasn't driving a logging truck to Pismo...with bead lock wheels.

The bead lock wheels depending on style can be probable cause, or even tread sticking out past the fender.

I had a Jeep that the tires had over 6” of tread that stuck out past the fender flares, that I drove for several years without ever being pulled over. I also had friends that got pulled over for and written up for tires with only about an inch of tread past the fender in the same town. It’s funny how that works.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Regardless of how you feel about me, what is BS is the OP's hearsay story. A pickup pulling a 5th wheel RV is not a commercial vehicle and it is NOT required to stop at a CHP weigh and inspection station.

I was simply correcting your wrong claims in the earlier post.
In this post, while you are not wrong, you are not exactly right either, at least here in California. In California there is a length limit that you are allowed to pull with a pickup, no CDL and not have to stop at weigh/DOT stations. I believe the limit is 40’ but I’m not certain on that nor do I care enough to look it up for you.

The original claim does seem to be questionable tho at best. Even here in the “pull you over for whatever the we want” state that California is.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Doubt we'll hear from the OP again, but just in case....why would your friend race home to reinstall the pollution crap? Louisiana doesn't require it.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
A pickup pulling a 5th wheel RV is not a commercial vehicle and it is NOT required to stop at a CHP weigh and inspection station.
Being a bit picky here, but as I recall, a pickup is a commercial vehicle in CA, and hooking a 5th wheel to it doesn't change that.

One way around the commercial registration is to install a shell, or a camper, and get a regular automobile registration...but then you couldn't hook a 5th wheel to it.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
I had a Jeep that the tires had over 6” of tread that stuck out past the fender flares, that I drove for several years without ever being pulled over. I also had friends that got pulled over for and written up for tires with only about an inch of tread past the fender in the same town. It’s funny how that works.
It can indeed be a hit or miss. I drove around with half of my 16.50s outside the fenders (no flares) but when I got stopped it was because of not having a windshield.

Thankfully, after moving out I no longer need a windshield, or fenders, or much else.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
I find that the people trying to abide by the laws know more than most enforcing them.
Funny that you mention that. In CA I had a copy of the vehicle code book, and knew the contents pretty darn well. In many cases better than the LEO, as you mention.

After moving, I asked a local State Police about getting a copy of the vehicle laws here. Having learned much of them from a friend, I still wanted to see them for myself.

When I got the book I was surprised/amazed/in disbelief...it was thinner than the CA version, but the size of a typical magazine, which is about three times the footprint of the CA one.
Well, my fears were unfounded. That book contained every law in the state, and the vehicle section was about six pages.

Basically, if it isn't expressly forbidden, it's okay. And that goes for all, not just vehicle related, laws.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah here it’s LRS 31:xx. About 3 pages 8.5x11. I keep a copy printed in my vehicle. Most of the troopers, deputies, and officers with whom I work keep a condensed printout of the main sections on their citation board.

TX, different animal. I know a few troopers and a couple local / city folks in the DFW and Houston areas. Those folks know their vehicle code front and back, to include weight and length standards. TX and PA have a lot more leeway than other states when it comes to interpretation and application so you’re more apt to run across an LEO willing to enforce the intent more than the letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
I was simply correcting your wrong claims in the earlier post.
In this post, while you are not wrong, you are not exactly right either, at least here in California. In California there is a length limit that you are allowed to pull with a pickup, no CDL and not have to stop at weigh/DOT stations. I believe the limit is 40’ but I’m not certain on that nor do I care enough to look it up for you.

The original claim does seem to be questionable tho at best. Even here in the “pull you over for whatever the we want” state that California is.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/dl648/dl648pt3

21 - 40 of 134 Posts