Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signature truck needed new tires. Before that I found a bad drag link and tie rod ends and the ball joints were questionable. Swapped all of the parts for MOOG. Put on new tires had it aligned and it drove TERRIBLY. My initial thought was bad tires but that didn't make much sense. My second thought was the steering box. I tried adjusting it (not ideal, but was a was of trouble shooting). That didn't fix the problem, only created more.

The culprit was the new tires in fact. Not that they were bad but that they were so much better. They have more road surface contact and therefore have much more road bite. I believe this put more stress on the front end. After strapping a go pro under the truck and driving, It was figured out. Track bar and the steering box was moving around like crazy.

So I replaced the track bar with over the counter Moog. I have intentions on getting a Thuren but I needed one right away. Additionally I added a steering box brace. In my go pro video, the steering box was moving around ALOT.

Lastly, I continued to research any other causes. STEERING SHAFT BUSHINGS. I found a couple of old threads online about them. I ended up just getting the Grainger nylon insert. They fit well. Some guys say they are using a hose clamp or zip ties to hold them in. I disagree....They had to be pressed in with a c-clamp. So if they need to be held in with something, they probably need to be replaced. Here is a youtube link that better explains it. EMF sells the bushing, probably a better component, but Grainger had them the next day.

https://youtu.be/D27SdrLYua4

·
Registered
390 Posts
Great video find! I just noticed this on my steering column the other day. It felt very spongy. Hell, I thought my steering box was junk. I can’t believe they put a rubber bushing in there. So, thanks for that!

·
All Stock
206 Posts
I have a set from EMF and it made my steering feel way more connected.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far so good. I have found a couple of instances of a small amount of bump steer since doing everything above. I’m headed to dodge in the morning, I’m going to have them align it following Thuren suspension guidelines. I will update after that. Even now, my truck drives like a small suv, certainly not like a lifted diesel on 37x13.50s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Great video find! I just noticed this on my steering column the other day. It felt very spongy. Hell, I thought my steering box was junk. I can’t believe they put a rubber bushing in there. So, thanks for that!
I don't have a problem with them using rubber, I think they just use too soft of rubber, or it's inconsistent hardness from truck to truck as some people don't seem to notice it. The bushings made a big difference on our truck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just ordered the bushings from EMF and they should be in next week. Im hoping to cure a little wander and small clunking noise when maneuvering in the shop yard. I’m interested to feel the difference after I install mine. To the OP, how much play did you have in your steering shaft before the install? Mine is barely visible, but I can definitely feel it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By spec there is 2" of play from the factory. I had 4". This took it down to closer in spec of 2". My truck can be a bit better still. I plan on eventually ordering a Thuren track bar and that should clean it up perfectly.

·
On call 24/7
12,493 Posts
I bought a couple little bushings from ace hardware a few years ago and hammered around the pin and then put a hose clamp around it just for security. Mine had very little play but the bushings got rid of all of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts