Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a strange issue on my 2016 2500. We had some snow the other day so I went to wash the crud off and as soon as I got back in there was a message on the EVIC saying my right rear turn signal is out. However, when I turn either the left or the right turn signals on both turn signals flash like my hazzards are on. So, I can only assume that the right rear turn signal isn’t out since it does flash, but obviously something it causing both signals to flash at the same time regardless of which blinker I turn on. All other lights operate as normal including the approach puddle lights and the third brake light. I’m running the factory bulbs and the turn signal indicators on the dash are not going into hyper flash mode like they normally would when a turn signal bulb is out. I tried disconnecting the battery but it’s still doing the same thing after reconnecting it. The dealer wants $250 just to diagnose the problem so I’m trying to avoid that. Also, I haven’t tried replacing the bulb because the entire tail lamp assembly has to be replaced in order to replace the turn signal.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my 18 last winter. Only when it snowed and it happened 3-4 times, same symptoms as you’re describing. I chalked it up to a gremlin, moved on and have since trader that truck but I’ll be interested to here any info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Sounds like you lost ground on one circuit so it is using the other for ground.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update: if I turn my ignition switch to Run but don’t start the truck, both blinkers work properly but whenever the engine is running, both the left and right rear blinkers flash at the same time like my hazards are on. I’ve checked the fuses and they’re good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
. Also, I haven’t tried replacing the bulb because the entire tail lamp assembly has to be replaced in order to replace the turn signal.
No it doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that’s what all the dealers have told me that the factory LED rear turn signals can only be replaced by replacing the entire lens housing at $350 from the dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had this occur on my truck a month ago. The graphic on your EVIC looks like your right rear tail, but it was a bulb in my third brake light on top of the cab. There are two brake light bulbs and the bed illumination bulb in the housing. I swapped all three, got them at the auto parts store. Recommend you pull the bulbs before you go, to get the right ones. The message went away after the bulb swap and a couple start cycles.

Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had this occur on my truck a month ago. The graphic on your EVIC looks like your right rear tail, but it was a bulb in my third brake light on top of the cab. There are two brake light bulbs and the bed illumination bulb in the housing. I swapped all three, got them at the auto parts store. Recommend you pull the bulbs before you go, to get the right ones. The message went away after the bulb swap and a couple start cycles.

Rich
Thanks Rich, I’ll give that a try.

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
398 Posts
Well, that’s what all the dealers have told me that the factory LED rear turn signals can only be replaced by replacing the entire lens housing at $350 from the dealer.
that's because they're just swapping parts - not actually repairing anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any luck?

Rich
Hey Rich,

That didn’t work for me but I was able to diagnose and fix the problem. It was an issue with the wiring on my camper shell. I rewired it and that fixed the problem. Thanks for you suggestion though, I appreciate it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts