Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, new to the form. I'm trying to size the right injectors for my truck. Its a 01 24v, with compounds on it (62/71/.07 over a S480). I did head studs, o-ringed the head, and high rev valve springs when I put the compounds on it. I'm running a ZF6 and 3.73s. Right now I'm running stock injectors. Also I tow almost every weekend anywhere between 5000 to 15000 lbs. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
7x.012-13" or 6x.012-13". Are you running an HO VP44? If so that's really going to limit you getting that s480 going. You're going to want a wire-tapping box as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7x.012-13" or 6x.012-13". Are you running an HO VP44? If so that's really going to limit you getting that s480 going. You're going to want a wire-tapping box as well.
Yes it is the HO Vp44 I believe. It was replaced not long ago with a blue chip 17x. At that time I didn't know there was a difference. Also forgot to say I am running a edge juice with attitude.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
What size turbine wheel and housing on the s480? You want to be running the 87mm wheel with a 1.10AR T6 for sure with a VP44 especially the HO pump. The 68mm turbine would be better suited on the s362 but it's not as big of a deal. If you keep the HO pump you may want drop down to a 75mm primary.

Reactions: Ram Jam and 2002CTD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully you will chuckle at me being a dumbass but per there specs from where I got the compound kit from, they say it is a 1.32AR T6 and the wheel size is 96mm, 88mm? If you wouldn't mind elaborating on that a little more for a newbie.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
S400 Turbine Wheel: 74/83, 77/87, 80/87, 82/87, 82/92, 88/96

Not a dumbass question, nearly all these big name companies that sell compound kits don't mention the other turbine wheel options but only have an option for the 1.15AR T6 housing. The small number is the exducer/exit side into downpipe. The problem with the 96mm turbine is that it's rated for more power than most will run it with but all the places sell them because they're the least expensive and easiest to acquire. The 96mm turbine is cast clipped for flow so it is less responsive than the wheels not clipped like the 74/83, 82/87, and 82/87. I don't know about the other two 87mm wheels but they are an older design that are more for high and not really used from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Defiantly on the big side for a vp truck. Alot of guys run a 1.15 housing with the 96 turbine to make up for it.
I'm with Marq, the 96 is overkill for most applications. You are going to want to try and lite those turbos as quick as possible before the vp falls on it's face.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So which would be the better road to take? Swap housings(if its that easy) or to a s475? This is obviously not a race truck, But I want to be able to pull the mountains loaded with no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Go with an S475 with 83mm turbine and 1.10 T6. 7 hole injectors ~.012".

Reactions: 2002CTD and Ram Jam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So by switching to a s475 will that help my lower end boost come in sooner? At about 1800 RPMS it starts to boost now and then is fine until it runs out of fuel but it’s hard to get it there with a load sometimes on back roads. I still want more top end power too but just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Dropping to an s475 with the small turbine will help big time. The s480 with large turbine and HO VP44 is a significant mismatch.

Reactions: 2002CTD and Ram Jam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! So next question. The 7x .012 injectors. Just started research on them. A lot of places list them as just HP size. But I did find a set on dap. They say they are a 225hp injector. Which is bigger then what I was picturing, not a problem because I don’t really know what size, I was just guessing like 100 HP. But just want to make sure they will be good for towing also? Will my EGTs be good?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
You want a 225hp injector for your compound setup. Just adjust the edge accordingly.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Awesome! So next question. The 7x .012 injectors. Just started research on them. A lot of places list them as just HP size. But I did find a set on dap. They say they are a 225hp injector. Which is bigger then what I was picturing, not a problem because I don’t really know what size, I was just guessing like 100 HP. But just want to make sure they will be good for towing also? Will my EGTs be good?
Just as a future FYI:

7x0.090 = 100HP
7x0.010 = 150HP
7x0.011 = 175-200HP
7x0.012 = 225-250HP

Reactions: jkidd

·
Vendor
8,942 Posts
Did you get the parts installed yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Parts installed last night but didn't get to drive it. Had an oil leak from where the turbo drain tube goes into the block on the rear. I had this problem last time, The drain tube is really close to the starter (like touching) and will not go into the hole straight. I really need a shorter starter (if they make one). Hopefully I will get to drive it this evening.

·
Vendor
8,942 Posts
drive it. Had an oil leak from where the turbo drain tube goes into the block on the rear. I had this problem last time, The drain tube is really close to the starter (like touching) and will not go into the hole straight. I really need a shorter starter (if
Thank you for the update. Looking forward to hear how you like the new set up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.