Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys (gals) getting so much HP to the ground and not destroying your trannys? Im busting teeth and or tearing up 13" Southbend clutches with proably less than a legit 400 hp. Broken transfer cases, twisted drive line, this is what I'm dealing with too frequently. Whats UP????//

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
35s pull my 4 place trailer and 16' gutter trailer. Nothing over 10,000 anymore

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mostly accelerate in the upper gears

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pulling a grade at about 70 with a trailer (7500) twisted the yoke and bent the tail shaft, breaking the housing.

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Speed of how fast left foot rises on pedal has direct connection with life expentancy of clutches and other components in drivetrain.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
depends on how you drive! 4th gear is the only gear that is going to hold up to a bit of abuse and power.

If your tearing up trannys, tcases, clutches and drivelines under 400hp you need to find a new hobby...

· Registered
1,330 Posts
depends on how you drive! 4th gear is the only gear that is going to hold up to a bit of abuse and power.

If your tearing up trannys, tcases, clutches and drivelines under 400hp you need to find a new hobby...
That^ or drive your rig like it is the only one you will ever have and you don't want to be constantly fixing broke, bent, twisted, sheared, snapped, cracked, popped parts.

Does sound like a driver induced issue.

Maybe not.

Could hurt to let one of your cummins buddy drive your rig for a day with you in it and see how they drive. If they break chit to well sounds like its time to really go through yer rig and do some PM or start over with something lower miles and less abused.

· Registered
1,639 Posts
I've had the fortunate opportunity to work at a business that employs lots of young people that LOVE to speed shift and snatch gears. I always thought of it as job security because they went through quite a few driveshaft, axles and clutches and it was my job to fix them. I developed a very good relationship with the local parts house, driveline shop and dealer.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all breakage issues have been at speeds 30 and above. Usually accelerating getting on the freeway and or passing on a hill or pulling a grade. About 4 transmissions ago I got everything that Dan at quad 4x4 recomended. Iv even had the housing replaced just to make sure the it wasnt flexing due to a stress crack. I ve taken the center out of the South Bend Clutch (2) Peter has been more than great to work with and this last time we went with a less agressive set up. It was mentioned that I wasnt making enough power to fully hook that aggresive of clutch up. When it did hook it was (as more than one mech. stated) violent! I believe we went ofe over fe or vise versa. NO side stepping of the clutch! I have a box of gears with missing teeth, including forth. Usualy 3 or 4 teeth and you can see small fractures at the base of others. What gives? I know, my tranny!

· Registered
9,910 Posts
your supposed to put oil in the trans too.... :D

LOL

On that topic, what kind of oil are you running in the trans?

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Its that expensive shtuff. I wanna say syntec. Its what is recomended, for the NV 4500. Im also running that Quad fully splined main shaft. I really like the quick spooling turbo s300, but im wondering if that is part of the problem?

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do pull some pretty big trailers. Some over 20000., but that is no the norm. 5000 to 15000. I d have to check my latest dump ticket. Ive got a pretty large drop hitch, and the larger trailers are 5th wheel. Some times I get some bouncing, N. Idaho roads. I think I just need a bigger truck.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
castrol syntorque?

Remember that the 4500HD is only built to hold 460lb/ft, basically just enough to hold up to the stock engine. Regardless of the upgraded parts you throw at it, you are not going to cure its biggest weakness, the single countershaft, which causes all kinds of distortion and flexing under high stress and causes most of the high power failures.

To top it off, the trans was designed for a max GCVWR of 21k/lbs, that being said your max trailer weight should only be appx 13,000lbs. anything more is purely abuse on the trans.

· Registered
322 Posts
mAYBE TRY NOT LETTING THAT CLUTCH OUT SO HARD BETWEEN GEARS???

· Registered
1,150 Posts
i guess i dont understand, my truck is over 500 horse, i run a clutch rated for 800 horse and i have never torn up the tranny or a clutch or a T-case either, it sounds like driver error for sure, i can do boosted 4x4 lauches in my truck and not tear sh*t up, how are you blowing through parts right an left without hittin the governor and then dumping the clutch?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.