Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my truck about 6 years and every once in a while i accidently hit the reverse gate when downshifting from 6th. Totally operator error I know... and i have probably done it less than 6 times in the six years i have owned my truck... but damn i hate when I do it. I don't ever hit it real hard... it just goes buzz and i realize my error. Two questions:

How damaging is this to the NV 5600?

Is there a reverse lockout kit available to prevent it?

Thank you

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
It's not good on the trans. to grind gears.
Keep concentrating on what you're doing and you'll make less mistakes....I have to keep telling myself, "push the clutch in Clunk" because I drive a dumptruck with the 8LL trans that you don't use the clutch to shift..
I don't know of a reverse lockout for manual shift Dodges.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
It already has a built in spring to prevent that. You need to learn to be sensitive to that spring and not shove it too far. If you relax and let it track itself more, you won't have to "find" sixth. You probably have not hurt it enough to matter. So don't worry about fixing what ain't broke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What i don't get, is there is no difference in pressure between reverse and any other gear. I have never hit the reverse gate upshifting... The handfull of times i have done this i felt certain i was going into 5th in a downshift from 6th. Could the spring that provides the resistance be broken?

·
Registered
14,686 Posts
I know you opened yourself up to criticism by posting and asking the question so I'll be as kind as possible by simply telling you that you need to pay closer attention. Thats about it... The transmissions and clutch assembly are not small therefore there's a lot of weight/mass moving about while driving. People who think they need to shift their truck like a Honda Civic are only asking for problems and expensive future rebuilds. Feel free to be hard on the throttle while in gear but the time it takes to get into gears shouldnt be a race because its immensely hard on the synchros.

That said, you certainly didnt damage anything... The "gears" arent clashing but rather the dog teeth are the parts of the gears which slid into each other. When they grind you're rounding the ends of the dog teeth and eventually causing engagement problems. Worst case is the dog teeth break off and then you cause metal to float around in the transmission which can cause all kinds of other problems.

If you're really really concerned then change the fluid in your transmission. If it comes out fairly clean and free of fine metallic material then you're good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can tell you come from the left coast by your condescending reply stating your own kindness. This post was started with admittance of operator error. It is no cause for honda jabs.

2,539 Posts
What i don't get, is there is no difference in pressure between reverse and any other gear. I have never hit the reverse gate upshifting... ...Could the spring that provides the resistance be broken?

I've had an NV5600 for 16 years in my truck. It has always taken a good effort to put the truck into the reverse gate all the way to the right.
I have never accidentally put my truck into reverse and have never thought about it before but there is definitely an internal spring loaded resistance built into the reverse gate.

It is certainly possible that your shift tower or reverse gate is broken or worn. Especially if your trans has a ton of miles and years on it.

I do have a BD short shift kit which does not affect this. BTW, I don't recommend the BD NV5600 short shift kit at all.
I do recommend welding up the shifter shaft solid if your shifter shaft has the rubber bushing at the bottom of it.

This is improved the shifting of my NV5600 greatly. That rubber bushing in the shaft makes the shifter sloppy.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
There is s spring, though it is lite, to prevent reverse, assuming it is not broke and we have never heard of a broken spring. It is only a few ounces of pressure. What is happening is your are working too hard looking for the right gear. I would guess likely your lack of manual practice and experience.

So this should help.

Just shift 1 through 6 or starting 2nd through 6th. Try and forget reverse is even there. When shifting down to 4th or 6th just pull it straight down. When shifting up to 3rd or 5th just do the same and le tit guide itself. It will do it. Only guide it right enough that you are not going straight back into 3rd. No pressure, more like putting the slant in your signature. Do NOT stop in neutral. that is where you get messed up by hesitating.

When shifting it should actually actually be fairly quick.
When shifting your left foot should be going down quickly and you right foot should be letting off the throttle just as quickly, one foot down-one foot up at the same time.

Accelerate in 4th up to 2000 to 2400 or so rpm.
Then operate pedals as above.
Move shift lever at the same time but smoothly and not as fast. This allows the rpm t o drop to 5 gear speed. Then as it is going into 5th be letting the clutch out quickly, not slowly and apply throttle.

Overall you are just working two hard at it and hesitating to not go into reverse.

You are easy to teach from here. 45 years ago in the army I used to teach 18 year old girls from New York that never had driven anything before how to drive in a jeep 4 speed. Only few ruts in the lot.

Please do not be offended by my assumptions. They come from experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts