Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of blacking out the megacab and was wondering if there is a way to return the alloy wheels back to their original state if for some reason I dont like how they come out?? If I dont like em i am just going to buy new black wheels but would like to keep the alloys.
Thanks for the info!! I also got the black diamond plate bed caps put on, I will post some pics after work :hyper:

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone got any info??

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your going to Powder coat them black...?
I take it your going to pull the Chrome Clad off....?
Then if you dont like it you want to go back to stock...?
You maybe able to trade some one that is looking for Black rims... other than that you could blast and recoat with another finish powder coat..

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about painting them. I had heard powder coat was more likely to chip from rocks??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had several trucks with PCed rims. Never had a problem with rock chips. Had more chips when they were painted. With paint though it is easy to touch up if chipped.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Powdercoating is much less prone to chipping than paint is. Once it does chip you will likely need to recoat the wheel. If you soak powdercoating in acetone, it will gell and peel off! There are other chemicals that will break it down as well. Blasting is the fastest way to take it off.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
I think if you paint the wheels, you are gonna have trouble going back to stock. I am not 100% sure, but I think to paint your wheels, you are gonna have to scuff them, to get the paint to stick.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I'm selling my black painted steel ST rims. The cheap crap plastic trimrings only lasted a couple weeks before they started cracking and one flew off the truck yesterday. It just doesn't look as good without them so I'm going back to the alloy rims. I'm going to paint the silver center caps black too. If anybody wants them PM me and we can talk. I also have a brand new set of Kleen Wheels I was going to put on the fronts. Those things work great but they are not interchangeable between different types of rims. If someone buys the rims they will be part of the package...

·
Registered
830 Posts
you will have a tough time returning them back to stock if you do the paint process correctly. my paint on my rims is holding fantastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts