Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
:welcome:

If you are sure testing only injectors, you have an issue.
Check connector tubes torque repeat.

"Maximum allowable leakage for all injectors combined is 160 ml per minute: checked when coolant temperature is above 180 degrees, 1200 rpm and fuel rail pressure is equal to 20,305 PSI.

It takes about 4000 PSI rail pressure in order for the injectors to deliver fuel for starting.
Any injector contributing more than 40 ml is excessive. IE: if total leakage is 200 ml and blocking off number one injector reduces the total leakage to 160 ml, cylinder number one injector has excessive leakage and is bad.
If you have a no start condition, maximum allowable return is 90 ml per minute at 200 rpm cranking speed, be careful not to over heat the starter during testing.
Damaged or loose high pressure injector connectors can cause excessive leakage.
Excessive leakage usually results in a starting issue, which could occur hot or cold, but usually occurs hot because the fuel is thinner when hot."

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I would weld line, make cap good welder,not hard .
Never heard of individual Bosch tool for cap off of lines.
Cummins tool part number: 3164325
Spx/miller 9011
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Miller+9011&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

Why did you replace OEM injectors ??
My old girl, always making noises should get mechanics stethoscope, help narrow down.

Verify proper tools/test procedure see http://cdn.genosgarage.com/downloads/TechPDF/TDR72_HPCR_Injectors.pdf or
Fuel Injectors for 2003 and Newer HPCR Engines - Frequently Asked Questions - Geno's Garage

Not sure on Smarty balance rates, my truck is 04, Dodge's retarded step child, not smart enough to do those test. :wink2:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Has anyone listened to the video with the tick? What do you think? Cylinder 2 sounds very different from 3,4,5. Cylinder 1 is also slightly louder. So I switched this injector from cyl.2 with an injector from cyl.3. The loud noise went along with cylinder 3. Go to cyl.2
something else occurred to me:
Would it be possible for the FASS100 to pump air forward despite all of its filters and separation systems?
I noticed during the last injector leak test (transparent hose on the return pipe at the original filter place) that there are also small air bubbles with the return diesel. there was also a slight fog. like finely atomized fuel. At first I thought this hose sucked air in itself. then attached a clamp. air bubbles anyway.
but could be normal due to cavitation through this high pressure lekage that I am looking for all the time right?

Listened to audio, 2 does sound different are you sure all copper washers are installed on injectors?
Ohm test wires/injector solenoids?? see if any big differences.

From other videos, Some thing strange with rail pressure should try get data and plot see if a pattern shows when disconnecting specific injectors.
As far as air in fuel any leaks could cause issue should double check no supply side leaks
should make proper supply pressure 11 psi to CP3 if not check for restriction or pump issue.

Check for air in the fuel
Refer to Procedure 006-003. Operate the engine
at idle and check for air bubbles. If the engine will
not start, check while cranking the engine.
Note: Do not overheat the starter
Is air present in the fuel supply?
YES
Repair:
Locate and correct the cause of air ingestion
in the fuel supply system. Sources of air
ingestion include loose fuel filters, loose fuel
line fittings, loose or cracked fuel tank standpipes,
or severe restrictions in the fuel supply
lines and filters that cause cavitation at high
fuel flow rates.

Procedure 006-003

Air in Fuel (006-003)
General Information
A replacement of fuel supply lines, fuel filters, fuel
injection pump, high-pressure fuel lines, and injectors will
let air enter the fuel system. Air in the system can make
the engine hard to start, run rough, misfire, produce low
power, or can cause excessive smoke and a fuel knock.
A few bubbles exiting the line during the test is expected.
A foamy appearance is indication of a leak that allows air
to enter, a severe inlet restriction that causes cavitation,
or a system that is not yet primed. If fuel inlet restriction
(refer to Procedure 006-020) is not excessive, the source
of air entry should be isolated to one of the following:
• Suction fuel lines
• ECM cooling plate assembly (if applicable)
• OEM fuel lines
• Suction-side fuel filter assemblies
• Stand-pipe(s) in the fuel tank(s)
WARNING
Be sure that the fuel inlet and return valves are
returned to the open position before cranking engine.
Engine damage can result if valves are in the wrong
position when engine is cranked or started.
Environmental damage can also occur. Refer to
Procedure 005-999 (Fuel System Overview) in
Familiarization section for further information.
Test
3.9L and 5.9L Without Fuel Filter Diagnostic Test
Ports
NOTE: On quick-disconnect fittings with a white tang;
push in the white tang to release the fuel line.
Install the fuel pressure gauge adapter service tool, Part
Number 3164044, between the ECM cooling plate and the
gear pump.
Operate the engine at idle and check for air bubbles in the
clear line.
If air continues to bubble through the clear hose for
several minutes, then an air leak is present.
Collect fuel in a bucket or similar device.
Look for air bubbles in the fuel as it fills the bucket or
similar container.
If air continues to bubble through the clear hose for
several minutes, then an air leak is present.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Just let other post die, admins are MIA.

Thanks for your replay. Oh, okay. The little balls. All right. Google translator helps me out here. I have checked all pushrods maybe 2 Weeks ago. All "balls" on his Place. The today broken pushrod is absolutely straight. How can the bullet break off. I've seen a lot of really bent pushrods. But such a straight break on the bullet is new to me. My rockerarms and shafts had a polished wear with little scratches. It is possible that the rocker arm clamps at higher rpms? The feeling is smoth. will order new pushrods. Should I use oem or reinforced. Is there a recommendation for reinforced? I also want to order new rockerarm units. Is this cummins number 4995602 the current one? With additional lubrication groove and without plastic container.
Stock or higher power planned??
for stock power Cummins OEM is good.
new design is part number you stated.

Pretty common issue with galling of trunions and bushing , last component to get oil, if not too bad Cummins says okay to clean up with Emory cloth, then redesigned part. :spank:

Why did it, push rod break, like steelhead said most common;
Solid lifter no interference engines, no room for error, set valves cold turn motor over by hand, always double check.
Very important to put any parts exactly back were they originally came from, Components breakin/wear together from running for thousands of miles/KM.
Possible shock, valve hit piston from fueling issue.
Definitely have an issue if new injectors look like that, see what injector/compression/leakdown test show, but with just push rod issue I am pulling head to clean up/check for issue in upper and lower end of engine, Cheaper in long run.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Not sure what e7 type means??

As far as oil, going by my Autometer oil pressure gauge in my 2004 with sender connected to to top of oil filter housing, I have been running 5w-40, viscosity with temperature below 50 F (10 C)
IMO, took too long on cold start up to get oil pressure up. Then 15w-40 in warmer 50F+.
About half way thru 10k OCI use STP Oil treatment (german invention :wink2:) for zinc boost.
Should have real Oil pressure gauge OEM is fake, choose weight by your environment.

Hopefully compression good!! Been issues with rings.
06 has piston ring gap for emissions. see https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/1323945-piston-ring-gap.html

Dodge /Cummins compression test info.
CYLINDER COMPRESSION PRESSURE

Ensure batteries are completely charged and the engine starter motor is in good operating condition. Otherwise, the indicated compression pressures may not be valid for diagnostic purposes.

1. Disconnect the fuel inlet line to the fuel filter housing. Plug the fuel line from the fuel tank.
NOTE: Failure to plug fuel line will result in fuel leak.

2. Remove fuel transfer pump fuse/relay.

3. Start the engine and idle until the engine stalls (runs out of fuel).

4. Remove the cylinder head cover. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) -
REMOVAL)

5. Remove the cylinder head cover carrier gasket. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) - REMOVAL)

6. Remove the high pressure fuel line between the cylinder head and fuel rail for the cylinder to be tested. Use tool# 9011 to cap this fuel rail on the cylinder being tested.

7. Remove the fuel connector tube nut and fuel connector tube.

8. Remove the exhaust rocker lever.

9. Use Tool 9010 to remove the injector and copper sealing washer.

10. Install the exhaust rocker lever and torque to 36 N·m (27 ft. lbs.).

11. Cover the remaining rocker levers with clean shop towels to prevent any oil splatter under the
hood.

12. Place a rag over the compression test tool fitting. Crank the engine for 2–3 seconds to purge any fuel that may have drained into the cylinder when the injector was removed.

13. Connect the compression test gauge.

14. Crank the engine for 5 seconds and record the pressure reading. Repeat this step three times and calculate the average of the three readings.

NOTE: The minimum cylinder pressure is 350 psi. Cylinder pressure should be within 20% from cylinder to cylinder.

15. Combustion pressure leakage can be checked if cylinder pressure is below the specification. Perform the leakage test procedure on each cylinder according to the tester manufacturer instructions.

16. Upon completion of the test check and erase any engine related fault codes.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
If compression /leakdown and injectors good installed ie using new cummins/bosch connector tubes for injector install
next could try test Cp3 to rule out. IE why rail pressure bouncing??

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Seems like compression is high/consistent which is good, very close psi across all cylinders.
leakdown % reading consistent? same percent between each cylinder, should be good.
If you had other symptoms/inconsistencies, and/or borderline on specs probably more important to conduct test hot.
At this point probably wait for injectors test to pull head.

Try and figure out why push rod failed like that.
Possible to take another old push rod exam/test it?
Make sure, spring/valve not weak /sticking ie functioning properly? cause bind.
Make sure tappet where push rod sits no damage/issues. Compare with other tappet/pushrods fit, amount of adjustment on rocker compared to other valves should be close, rocker movement, if something seems off.

Cp3 seems like good volume, never heard of Maximum. with out sending out CP3 to test to Bosch faciity, AFAIK monitoring rail pressure demanded vs actual would show if Cp3 is not supplying proper fuel requested by ECM, when running.
Should verify no issues in return plumbing.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Never really had to pay attention to that area, but hundreds of Cummins heads I have rebuilt never seen any issue with connector tube area, to me looks like machining of casting.:confused013:
As long as connector tube is in proper contact with injector, installed correctly, should get proper seal.

If your real curious and have time try and contact Cummins by location see what they say :wink2:
https://cumminseurope.com/locations

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
If threads were clean no rust, I would not exceed 40 ft /lbs, thats + 10 % of Dodge value, +20% of Cummins value.
Cummins ISB spec is
Torque Value: Fuel Connector(Cylinder Head Mounted) 50 N•m [ 34 ft-lb ] :wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.