Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 19 2500. Had a '11 F150 with the AMP-Research Power Steps and really like them. So looking at those and the RBP equivalent for my 19. Wanted to check to see if there was any preference between the two for RAM owners. Looks like the AMP has some drilling and you have to use the OBD port for control.

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
792 Posts
The amp brand seems to deploy and retract faster. I would go with them. There were some issues with the ‘18 and amp so I would call amp and make sure the two r compatible.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the Amps, I really like them. They seem to be very consistent and have not had a problem. When they were installed, the tread on the drivers side had a small scrape that was through the powder coating. I called Amp and asked about a touch-up paint...they didn’t offer any touch up paint (because they are powder coated); however, they just offered to send me new runners. I wasn’t expecting that response. So, I still have the original runners in the truck and have the replacements on a shelf in my garage.

I should add, they can be wired in directly, the plug-n-play OBD II connection is an optional item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
The factory RAM are covered under warranty...that means a lot! I've seen so many amp's that have stopped working that I don't think I would install them personally. If the factory quit working the dealer can deal with the repair for free. I also purchased a Mopar 5yr/125k warranty so they'll be covered that entire time. The only concern I have with them is dragging them off-road and damaging them.
They are kind of slow, which is annoying! But you get use to it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Amp steps are by far the best. I'm tempted to take off the factory steps and install the Amp steps. The factory steps are terrible. They don't deploy or retract fast enough and I constantly trip over them because they're so slow. Also the Amp steps stow away completely under the truck where the factory steps are visible while they're stowed away. I asked in negotiations if the dealer would take them off for me because that's how much I hate them and how quickly I noticed the lack of quality and fitment compared to Amp steps. I'll sell you my factory ones for 1k lol I'd happily get Amps again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I purchased amp steps acouple weeks back but have not had a chance to install them yet. I have electronics plugged in my obd port already and rather not split the obd port. Anyone installed them directly? If so, please shed some light. Need to also find some leds to match the trucks mirror muddle lights instead of that blue color.

·
PA Cummins
96 Posts
I purchased amp steps acouple weeks back but have not had a chance to install them yet. I have electronics plugged in my obd port already and rather not split the obd port. Anyone installed them directly? If so, please shed some light. Need to also find some leds to match the trucks mirror muddle lights instead of that blue color.
You can get a pass thru obd plug from Amp. In effect, you could still keep electronics plugged in al well. Hard wired is the other option. Just can be tough and time consuming due to the difficulty wiring in a tight area under the dash.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had them plugged in a splitter originally on my 16 and took it off and plugged them in directly. Unless you run an obd tuner or something else that needs to be run off the obd port than there is no need for the splitter. If you unplug it, it will disable the steps until it is replugged in. It's a very simple and great system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amp Research Running boards

Hey All ,
New to the forum, I was looking to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I have the A.R. Boards on my 2015 3500 SRW truck and absolutely love em'.
I just purchased a 2019 3500 dually with self leveling system. Got under the passenger side and found a pressure tank mounted on the outside frame rail that will not allow the running board to fully retract, Called A.R. and was told "Yeah we know. Give us a call after the new year".
Has anyone found a solution to this? I had already started the install, wiring, and drivers side supports.

Any help,
Thanks,
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts