Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys is it necessary after a couple hundred miles to retorque the studs. Ive heard both answers yes and no. I don't really see why u would have to, I mean think of the ford guys they would have to tear there cabs back off , so why do people say to do it to our trucks? Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
I look at it as insurance. Can't hurt. Grab a 12 pack and invite a couple of buds over and you'll be done before you know it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long did u wait before u checked yours ?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did u loosening your completely then torque or did u just go over each to make sure they were still torqued . Also did u find any loose when u did it ?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just go over them.I did them when I did my nozzles was at least a few thousand miles.None of my moved I have h11 tho.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just go over them.I did them when I did my nozzles was at least a few thousand miles.None of my moved I have h11 tho.
Same here, but I have 625s. It's unnecessary IMO if they were installed correctly

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah what is correct tho , so many people say so many different ways to install them. I installed them the way ARP said to do them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Honestly you will hear of multiple ways of doing it. Personally, if just changing out and not putting a new headgasket on I have always installed the arp 625's on my trucks once. torqued to 160 and never messed with them. Worked on my first truck 04.5 with 250 hp injectors and twins, worked on my 2010 deleted with stock vgt, worked my friends truck (also twins, stock mls gasket and big sticks) and at least ten other trucks I have done.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes me feel better , I only went to 150 . I just don't see how they could untourque themselves.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess what I was wondering was why people say they need retorqued ?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Theoretically you stretch the bolt with torquing it and then with multiple heat cycles the head can settle some on the gasket. but in my experience with the mls gasket I have checked and never experienced settling. On my 04.5 I used a 24 valve headgasket with o rings and it did settle some and I retorqued it twice.

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
If you have a fresh block and head, they will usually take a quarter turn of more torque after getting some heat into it...if you are worried, just take off valve cover and check the ones you can get to...if they don't move, you're good...if they do, take it down and re torque all in sequence and check valve lash

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yeah what is correct tho , so many people say so many different ways to install them. I installed them the way ARP said to do them.
didnt you start a thread on this topic about a month ago? im quite sure the answers to all of your questions covered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.