Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ISC 8.3 Liter, I-6 in my Motorhome (2002 Fleetwood Revolution) and it is exhibiting
problems that are typical of a clogged fuel filter (runs well most of the time, but on hills it acts like it is fuel starved for short periods of time). Cummings Atlantic diagnosed the cause as "Fuel Restriction of 13 inches at High Idle." The fuel filter (FFS-1022) located near the engine was replaced but the problem has not gone away.

There are some Motor Homes that have a second filter inline, but I looked for it and so did the Cummings service techs and we couldn't find one if it exists. It is fairly easy to search from the bottom of the engine compartment and around the rear axle, but forward of the rear axle the bottom of the rig is enclosed, to include the fuel tank.

Short of finding another filter, I will most likely have to get the lifter pump and/or fuel pump replaced and that will be big bucks so I'd like to see if anyone here has any ideas first. Also, it would be helpful to know what the normal fuel pressure should be at high idle.

I seem to recall that in the "old days" they used to put a "sock" in the fuel tank which acted like a crude filter, but I'm not sure they do that anymore. Also if/when I am forced to bring it back into the shop I plan to ack the techs to put a scope down the fuel filler hose to see if there is anything down there (wishful thinking, I know).

Appreciate in advance any help, R1chy

·
Registered
71 Posts
There can possibly be a screen filter on the passenger side of the rear axle. They usually get plugged up. If you have more than 10 inHg of restriction, you probably have a bad lift pump housing. The check valve in the housing gets plugged-up pretty quickly. The lift pump and the housing are sold as a unit. This is assuming you have a CAPS fuel system. If you have a common rail, that's another story. Let me know if this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts