Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the motor at the machine shop (one that came highly recommended by a friend that works for Case as a mechanic) and waiting to hear what he thinks. I was hoping it would be a simple break the glaze/hone, new rings and move a long since the motor only has 100k on it, and I could not feel any ridge with the head off - but while there dropping it off - he said that I should at least be thinking about pistons as its sort of a toss up as to being lucky enough to just re-ring or if itll need bored. (compressor wheel fragged and lead to pulling the head, finding glitter lead to pulling the motor, glitter in the rings lead to the machine shop hoping for a cleaning and re-ring plus bearings)

So, now Im thinking about it and researching. :D

We purchased BBI 0.5 injectors with the 03-04 spray pattern and fuel tubes based on a recommendation from Martin at BBI that he likes the 03 injectors on the 04.5+ motors (which also correlated with some things I have read - so I ran with it). That should leave me in the position I can use either the 04.5+ pistons if we are good to go on a re-ring, or if it needs bored, I can choose 03-04 or 04.5+ pistons.

I have read about needing to look at custom tunes if using the MY03 pistons in the 04.5+ pickups due to notable timing differences etc. But - being an 05 - that eliminates EFILive from the mix as they dont start until 06. I have a Smarty S06 PoD tuner now, but if we have to go through the expense of boring and new pistons, and the 03 pistons make the most sense, Im not completely against selling the S06 and looking at something else or maybe the S06 can be used and loaded with custom tunes? We're this far in, whats throwing even more at it right? ugh. Looks like MM3 and Smarty are working together (or are the same group? - I get confused between the two MM3 websites) on a tuner that is for 98.5 - 2019 Cummins, which intrigues me a little as I might be able to get a second VIN license for tuning on my 98.5 as well even though I already have a smarty for it as well. Im just delving into this, so Im still learning and figuring out the custom tune aspect of things - so much to learn.

We will tow with this, and if we tow it will likely be 8-10k lbs more than its not - and some of that up in the mountains of CO. In terms of stats: 2500, 6 sp (NV5600), 3:73 gears, 275/65-20 tires. Upgrades: the new BBI 0.5 injectors, new Tater Built 62/65 turbo, new Valair Quiet Double disk clutch, Jacobs exhaust brake, and what looks to be an aftermarket 4" muffler from the previous owner - still has the cat. Everything else, I think, is basically stock until what ever happens to the motor. Ive been regularly disappointed in the mileage this 05 gets. My 98.5 will beat it by 4-6mpg regularly. So I wouldnt mind paying some attention to grabbing some mileage in the process of all of this - but really would like to have a good reliable setup for the long term.

If anyone is willing in sharing thoughts or ideas here, I have open ears. Im learning as I go, and just trying to make the best decisions I can without wasting a bunch of money in the process.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have an 05, I was kinda disappointed with the milage as well when I got it. I ran box smarty tunes for a while and was consistently getting around 13 mpg. Once I added 03/04 50hp injectors and got custom tuning I'm seeing about 16.5 now. So definitely upgrade to the touch or mm3. To answer your question yes the mm3/touch are the same device the only difference is the touch comes with the box smarty tunes on it vs mm3 is blank basically and you're tuner just hooks you up with custom tuning. Also the mm3 comes with the comm mod the touch doesn't. I personally went with the touch when I bought the truck and didn't know much, now I would have chosen the mm3. Once you get custom tuning theres absolutely no need to use the box tunes, and I would rather have the comm mod because it allows you to switch tunes on the fly vs having to go through the 5 minute download time. But in reality once you get custom tuning you probably won't switch tunes to often unless switching from a street tune to a towing tune. As far as pistons go it's a very subjective question and really boils down to preference, some people think the early re entrant pistons are stronger, others don't. What I do know is I love the early injectors they run really clean, I don't see a downside to them. You need timing adjustments but if your getting custom tuning that's irrelevant. I ran mine on stock tuning and box smarty tunes before I upgraded my turbo and dual cp3 kit and it ran great. Sorry for the long response I have trouble simplifying my words lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Your other option would be HPTuners. The one upside to the 03-04.5 piston is the ring at the top is to help resist flameover. It might be why some years were less likely to pop rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Will also look at the HPTuners stuff as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
YOU might want to give Mat @ optimal welding a call. Been some grumbling on here about him though. I have had no problems and my 04 runs GREAT. I had a question and he responded the next day and that was last week... He was running an 04 so I do feel comfortable with his tunes. No complaints here concerning Mat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill add him to the list. Ill probably also search a little to see what the grumbling was about just so Im informed. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts