Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I put the pump on the first time after the re-seal and it wouldn't start so I figured out I had the drive gear 180* off.

Now it is running, but it runs VERY rough and Is smoking white really bad (better now that I advanced the timing alot) I think it's because injector #6 isn't getting fuel because when I crack the nut, no fuel sprays out . . . When I crack an injector line (other than #6) the engine starts shaking so violently I'm afraid it's goin to break the motor mounts!!

Also I did jump a tooth in timing while I was checking the gear timing. I set the cam gear dot to the C on the IP gear.

Can you guy tell me what I did wrong?!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Few things you can check.

1.) When you re-seal the injection pump make sure that the cam key matches the shaft key.
2.) CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, make sure you're working in a very clean area. A grain of sand or dust can clog injectors.
3.) Make sure the timing on the engine matches the timing on the pump. There is a mark on the back of the timing cover that needs to match the mark on the pump. If it's too far advanced or back it could retard it.

I would recheck your timing.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Did you try cracking the no. 6 line at the pump to see if the line was plugged.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few things you can check.

1.) When you re-seal the injection pump make sure that the cam key matches the shaft key.
2.) CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, make sure you're working in a very clean area. A grain of sand or dust can clog injectors.
3.) Make sure the timing on the engine matches the timing on the pump. There is a mark on the back of the timing cover that needs to match the mark on the pump. If it's too far advanced or back it could retard it.

I would recheck your timing.
Ya the keys match.

The first time I did it in my aprt. 2nd time I did it in a neighbors field on a tailgate.

I tried adjusting the timing toward the block and away from it. Toward the block was better. And I skipped a tooth advance.

Did you try cracking the no. 6 line at the pump to see if the line was plugged.
No I didn't! I'll try that and see if it's even pumping fuel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also it will only run for 10-15secs . . .

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Are you sure your LP is good and putting out 3-5 psi.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure your LP is good and putting out 3-5 psi.
I have a 2nd gen HP LP set at 12psi and it's getting the pressure to the gauge. But I noticed when I tried to manualy pump it the regulator made some funny sound . . .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys. Sorry I bought a new dd that needed fixing on the weekends so the Cummins got delayed. Now I'm messing with it again.

Now it has fuel to all injectors and runs without dieing. But it still runs pretty rough and PUKES grey/white smoke out. And when I cracked the 4th injector line I noticed it ran alot smoother? (vibration wise) also when I shut it off. A huge cloud of grey/white smoke went billowing by???

I'm 100% sure I the timing is advanced only 1 tooth (to the C)
I have fuel pressure.
No fuel leaks.
Bled the injectors again.
All the lines are on the right DV's

Please help guys! I want to drive my beast again!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Are you 100% sure the high pressure injector feed-lines are connected in the correct order at the injection pump? :confused013:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thats what I'm in the process of double checking. No.1 is at the bottom. Then go counter clock-wise. 1-5-3-6-2-4 right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alright. So last night I was making sure the lines were on the DV's right. Took them all off and re-attached them backwards. Tried starting it and back-fires through the turbo. So I put em' back.

Today I started it and it ran smooth (but now hazing grey/white pretty bad) at idle. But when I gave it some throttle it started sputtering and choking. Then I bled all the injectors while it was running. Then 1-2 mins after I bled them it slowly dies???? This thing baffles me?!

The only things I did were index the throttle 1 tooth clock-wise. Turn the full power screw out 1 1/2 - 2 turn and re attach the fuel lines in the correct spot.

I'm going to put another fuel filter on it. (even though I replaced it like 1000 miles ago) Do you think maybe I got some dirt in the pump? Even though I just bought the DDP stage 2's 500 miles ago that they could be bad?

·
Registered
244 Posts
might try turning the full fuel screw in a little at a time, when i took mine out to remove the collar i didn't get it back in the same spot and it did the same thing

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried that. till the screw bottomed out . . . but I gues I forgot it all the way in last time I messed with it. and I turned it out like 2 turns and it idled fine? but then I'd give it throttle and it would sputter like that! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.