Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compucowboy was good enough to help me with the install of a South Bend 3600 lb Dual Disk clutch into my truck yesterday. He and his wife are great people to have met and believe me this was a very gracious thing for him to have done.

As for the install it went "generally" okay and I sure could not have done it without Compucowboy but we did run into two things that South Bend (SBC) should have done for someone.

1. The instructions include with the $1750 clutch were for up to a MY 2002 truck. This wasted an hour during the install for us because on the G56 behind the pivot ball for the clutch fork there is little washer. Since our instructions did not cover the G56 there was no mention of whether to take out or leave this washer in because it is going to make a difference in how the fork operates. We found the answer on this forum finally.

2. If South Bend wants to ask top dollar for their clutches they could have thrown in a release bearing like Valair does and I was expecting. I should have caught this but the clutch came during a busy work week and we installed the next weekend. Trust me if you are going to do all the work to remove your trans etc it makes no sense not to replace a $20 throw out bearing while you are in there. My 14k mile one went back in sigh.

As for performance I would like Compucowboy to comment but I am happy. Not too loud and the engagement is streetable. The power is locked up and put down that is for sure. Now I am abusing my rear tires one at a time until I replace my open rear diff :peelout :w:.

I have an new LSD rear and the locker out of a new Powerwagon for the front sitting in their boxes ready to go on. I think I am going to take these so someone with a lift to install.:thumbsup

·
Registered
661 Posts
my con fe came with a new throw out bearing?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Thanks For the Kind words. It was a good time. It was interesting seeing, feeling, and hearing the difference in the 2 clutches pretty much side by side. Install was pretty much the same on the 2 clutches. As He said the Pivot Ball thing would have been nice if it was mentioned. The only reason i even thought about it because it was mentioned in my install and i have seen threads about it with the SBCs as well.

As far as actual Comparison, The SBC is a little quieter then mine, as well as a smoother engagement. A little lighter clutch pedal as well. Seems to hold his power just fine as a 3600# clutch should. I dont recall for sure what the plate load is on mine, that could contribute to the Clutch pedal feel.

In the end i think both products are good and would recommend either. I do agree with everything posted above as well.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
all of South Bends clutches come with a new throw out bearing and everything needed to install the clutch. also the green tag attached top the pressure plate specifically states to remove the washer behind the pivot ball.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
all of South Bends clutches come with a new throw out bearing and everything needed to install the clutch. also the green tag attached top the pressure plate specifically states to remove the washer behind the pivot ball.
Okay. This one didn't have either of those things as delivered.

·
5,055 Posts
I had remembered seeing this information posted before but there was no green tag attached anywhere.:thumbsup

·
Registered
238 Posts
Did the SBC come with the hydraulics upgrade or did you have to purchase it seperatly?

·
5,055 Posts
Its a seperate option.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is it really needed? What are the pro and cons? A clutch will be my next upgrade and I am just doing my homework.

·
Registered
674 Posts
my southbend came with a throwout bearing and went in no prob!! instructions were included. just my $.02

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Is it really needed? What are the pro and cons? A clutch will be my next upgrade and I am just doing my homework.
Yes you need the hydraulics when you upgrade the clutch in a G56:thumbsup

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
You need the hydros. My dad put a SBC in his truck a while back and we ran it with and without just for experiment. YOU NEED IT!! LOL

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
Okay. This one didn't have either of those things as delivered.
who did you buy the clutch from? mine have all come direct form South Bend and have never came missing anything. nor have any of my customers clutches.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
who did you buy the clutch from? mine have all come direct form South Bend and have never came missing anything. nor have any of my customers clutches.
He bought it from me and it came directly from South Bend. It is being handled:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Compucowboy was good enough to help me with the install of a South Bend 3600 lb Dual Disk clutch into my truck yesterday. He and his wife are great people to have met and believe me this was a very gracious thing for him to have done.

As for the install it went "generally" okay and I sure could not have done it without Compucowboy but we did run into two things that South Bend (SBC) should have done for someone.

1. The instructions include with the $1750 clutch were for up to a MY 2002 truck. This wasted an hour during the install for us because on the G56 behind the pivot ball for the clutch fork there is little washer. Since our instructions did not cover the G56 there was no mention of whether to take out or leave this washer in because it is going to make a difference in how the fork operates. We found the answer on this forum finally.

2. If South Bend wants to ask top dollar for their clutches they could have thrown in a release bearing like Valair does and I was expecting. I should have caught this but the clutch came during a busy work week and we installed the next weekend. Trust me if you are going to do all the work to remove your trans etc it makes no sense not to replace a $20 throw out bearing while you are in there. My 14k mile one went back in sigh.

As for performance I would like Compucowboy to comment but I am happy. Not too loud and the engagement is streetable. The power is locked up and put down that is for sure. Now I am abusing my rear tires one at a time until I replace my open rear diff :peelout :w:.

I have an new LSD rear and the locker out of a new Powerwagon for the front sitting in their boxes ready to go on. I think I am going to take these so someone with a lift to install.:thumbsup

If the bearing was not put with the kit, that would be a blunder of ours. I had all the guys come in and read this from our shipping department to express the impotents. Please feel free to call us and I will be glad to refunded the cost of the brg and fuel to retrieve it. As for the tag that is wired to the clutch referring to the washer removal, I have not heard anyone say they were lacking this info, I wonder if it accidentally got pulled off. I do hope you enjoy the clutch.

Peter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts