Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever change injectors? Is it pretty complicated?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
2x. There's alot to do to get to them. Takes 8-10 hrs first time to round trip. If you have tools readily available 6-8 hrs.

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm... prolly won't bother then trying to do it myself... I don't even know if that's the problem. I just got my valves adjusted at 192k, and the next day, it almost sounded like a stuck lifter on a gas engine when I rev it... then ithe tach seems to "grind" back down to 750 rpm, but I can still pull 6-8000 lbs and barely feel it, and the check engine light has never once come on... any idea what may be going on? does a bad injector(s) automatically make the check engine light come on?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
i got an 02, i posted about a similar problem. truck has power, injection pump seems to be good, but i get this clickin sound that i think is an injector. only occurs between certain rpm and on light throttle. real distinct and pretty loud, can definately tell it's there. sound like same prob you have? i kinda related it to a bad lifter to myself. but quicker.

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup... sounds pretty bang on... I just did an oil change, and it almost makes me wanna do another one with a flush just to see... plus I read up on this a bit, and it seems that better performance until the engine is warm could be an injector problem indicator...my engine definitely revs a lot smoother when it's cold, and it starts up no problem, warm or cold... it's really funny how it never made this sound until I took it to get my valves adjusted...

·
Registered
25 Posts
def sounds like a bad valve adjust guys!!!!

NOTE: To obtain accurate readings, valve lash measurements AND adjustments should only be performed when the engine coolant temperature is less than 60° C (140° F).

:peelout

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
yep that happend to mine to after a valve adjustment had a good mech look at it and my # 1 exhaust valve was three thousands out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts