Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bought a gold label Duracell from Sams back in 13' for the wife's Charger. The batt is in the trunk so outta sight outta mind. One day the wife calls me,.. car won't start. The positive cable was incredibly corroded. I thought.... these batteries are not supposed to do this,.. WTH. When I cleaned it up, the positive post had a hole in the side of it and was leaking acid. (never seen anything like that before)

It was 3 weeks out of the 3 yr free repl warranty, no pro rating after 3 yrs. Sams would not replace it. Had I looked at it months prior, they would've replaced it under warranty. I'm sure it took months to corrode that bad. I cleaned up the post real good and put a little silicone RTV in the hole and let it ride. It's still in the car today and holding up. I make sure to check it every few months. I'm sure it was just a freak thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Bought a gold label Duracell from Sams back in 13' for the wife's Charger. The batt is in the trunk so outta sight outta mind. One day the wife calls me,.. car won't start. The positive cable was incredibly corroded. I thought.... these batteries are not supposed to do this,.. WTH. When I cleaned it up, the positive post had a hole in the side of it and was leaking acid. (never seen anything like that before)

It was 3 weeks out of the 3 yr free repl warranty, no pro rating after 3 yrs. Sams would not replace it. Had I looked at it months prior, they would've replaced it under warranty. I'm sure it took months to corrode that bad. I cleaned up the post real good and put a little silicone RTV in the hole and let it ride. It's still in the car today and holding up. I make sure to check it every few months. I'm sure it was just a freak thing.
Must not have been a AGM battery, those don't have any liquid acid in them to leak out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Must not have been a AGM battery, those don't have any liquid acid in them to leak out.
No.... It's an AGM. It has lead acid (electrolyte). Same as flooded lead acid battery. It's just absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat and sealed so theoretically you can lay it on its side and use it. Same with Gel-Cell, also has lead acid and a gelling agent to reduce movement and reduce sloshing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just had to buy two new batteries for my '14 2500 yesterday. I purchased it 11/13... so just shy of 4 years on the OEM batteries..

I was shocked that it was starting fine, then 48 hours later.... nothing!! Just a big "clunk" when I tried to start it. I always thought there would be some sign they were getting bad.... Nope, not for me. Luckily I was in the driveway.....

One Battery load tested at the low side of the "good" scale, the other snapped past "good" all the way to "replace" so fast, when I hit the load switch, I'm surprised the gauge needle didn't snap off...!!

I had to pull both batteries to take them in for core, $397 later I was out of Sears with two Die Hard Advanced Gold AGM batteries.... good batteries, but $400... wow....

I have a Tradesman with 5.0 radio, the only thing I needed to reset was the clock. Batteries were out for 1.5 hours....

Hope to have better luck with the Die Hards...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
OEM Motorcraft battery in my '97 F150 lasted until 2008. 11 years. Coincidentally, it died (along with the OEM alternator), a couple months after I installed a 1000W amp and 12" subwoofer :eek:

OEM batteries in my '06 Ram 3500 were still going strong when I traded it in in 2013. 7 years.

OEM battery in my '07 Ram went until 2015 when I finally had to replace it. 8 years.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about my '16's for many years....but since FCA has taken over...who knows :banghead:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just dropped 439$ on batteries a few weeks ago at autozone. Oh man that hurt pretty good.
If there are Advance Autos near you order online from them with a coupon code and save 25%. When I replaced mine I stood next to the counter and did it on my phone. Had to do it 2x to save $100, $50 max savings per order.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Sam has the Duracell (made by Deka) AGM's for $169 and $146 for the Gold. I've got two 6 volts Duracells in my travel trailer but they are only a year old but so far so good.

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
We got hit with the batteries this weekend. Went to start the truck, it would not turn over, but the electronics had full power. No codes, no error messages, no warnings, but would not turn over.

Put them on a good charger overnight - it said they were at 100% a few hours later. Tried to start, same thing.

Looked for H7 AGM batteries locally. None at any Batteries+ in the area, none at WalMart, so it came down to Autozone and the former Checker Auto. The closest Autozone had 3 fresh Duralast in stock.

Pulled the old batteries, loaded them into the ATV, drove down there, picked up the new ones, took them home, and installed. All back to good working order. It's nice to live where I can license the ATV as street-legal.

uConnect 5.0 lost time and date. Satellite presets remained.

Noted that drivers side is a 10mm wrench, passenger side is 8mm.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had to disconnect mine yesterday to repair some wires and noticed that. As a design engineer I have only one word for that: STUPID.
I completely agree. I can't think of a scenario that would provide any reasonable reason for that.

I also forgot to mention that the life of the factory batteries was 3 years and 9 months.

·
Registered
197 Posts
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838845/00087/2015/DODGE/RAM%202500%20PICKUP/0/6-408%20%206.7L%20Dsl?quantity=1

Pepboys has a 30% coupon this week that isn't limited to a dollar amount like Advanced auto. I bought 2 of these Bosch H7/Group 94 batteries for $154 each with a 48 month free replacement warranty. I had a hard time finding a better deal on AGM batteries and my truck was starting to get really sluggish on starts.

This was a preemptive replacement, but I need this truck to start in the morning.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
It's pretty disappointing to see all the cheap parts they're putting on the new trucks, especially in light of the insane prices they're charging. The total cost of ownership is staggering. If you're only getting 3 years out of batteries, you're essentially paying $10 per month minimum just for the batteries to run the thing. For a $70k truck, they should be installing the best parts money can buy.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The dealer replaced 1 of my batteries while under warranty in Feb this year. Warranty now gone. If the other one goes bad soon what do I do. Replace the bad one or do both?

·
Registered
772 Posts
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838845/00087/2015/DODGE/RAM%202500%20PICKUP/0/6-408%20%206.7L%20Dsl?quantity=1

Pepboys has a 30% coupon this week that isn't limited to a dollar amount like Advanced auto. I bought 2 of these Bosch H7/Group 94 batteries for $154 each with a 48 month free replacement warranty. I had a hard time finding a better deal on AGM batteries and my truck was starting to get really sluggish on starts.

This was a preemptive replacement, but I need this truck to start in the morning.
Good find. Comes up as 168ea for me, tax difference?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The price I quoted was no tax and no core charge. Core charges are 15 bucks per battery here, but I'll get that back when I bring the old batteries back in this week.

Price per battery for me is $153.99

41 - 60 of 66 Posts