Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Does not matter, All you have to reset is the clock. Just like unplugging your computer at home. Any good battery is fine, just buy stock size. Surprises me factory batteries are bad already. Alternator good?
That's not such good advice, especially when the newer trucks are spec'd for AGM designed batteries.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'm currently running Interstate AGM's in my 2002, and they are a VERY finicky battery. Don't let them sit any length of time and get weak. I couldn't get mine to hold a charge and when I took them in, the tech said he needed to charge them for 40 hours at a really low rate. Long story short, my shenanigans wiped my AGM's out in under 2 years. Now that truck sits on an AGM rated (it has a snowflake symbol) trickle charger/battery tender.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Unless you have some kind of draw, that tells me they are junk. in an 02. NO reason for good batteries not to last several weeks or months in an 02.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Unless you have some kind of draw, that tells me they are junk. in an 02. NO reason for good batteries not to last several weeks or months in an 02.
Heck I would leave my stock 2012 for several months while underway and always started right up when I got back, well maybe a little longer crank time but still fired up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We've left our '16 parked for up to 3 weeks with only a .1 volt drop in voltage (12.7v to 12.6v).

IMO, whether your truck starts or not is not necessarily a good indicator as to whether your battery still had a "good" charge. Even though your truck starts, the battery voltage may have already dropped enough to damage the battery. More voltage drop equals more damage. The damage is cumulative. Automotive batteries operate differently (and are much more sensitive to discharge) than golf cart or or other "deep-cycle" batteries.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Thanks for your response. I was leaning towards this option, but I wasn't sure if it might have any adverse effects.
Only if you let the hot cable touch something it's not supposed to. :kaboom::kaboom::kaboom::kaboom:

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
That's not such good advice, especially when the newer trucks are spec'd for AGM designed batteries.
Give me examples of newer trucks spec'd with AGM's . Only ones I know of are when the battery is in the cab, like my wife's Durango.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I prefer Odyssey batteries. I've gotten them through internet and with assistance over the phone. Thick virgin lead plates, heavy, leakproof case. I've had them for several years in my RAM 2500, one in my Polaris, and now have a set in our Excursion. They are worth looking at, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ This. I don't usually participate in the tire/oil/battery whos best contests, but I have to say I've had (so far) the best service life ever out of Odyssey AGM batteries and believe they're worth the $$.

Bought 1 for the boat in 08 (after giving back several Craptima (optima) batteries) that would die the 2nd year like clockwork.
Ran it in one boat for a year, switched it to the new boat. Added a second matching Odyssey battery 2 years later after another Optima 2 year wonder.
2013 I dropped both of those Odyssey's into the truck because the boat was gettin layed up for 2 years and the truck still had original batteries and we were moving to Alaska. Went thru 2 AK winters with them and moved back to Seattle.
Batteries are currently 6 and 9 years old and still going strong.

Put a new set of Die Hard Platinum AGM's (odyssey batteries) back in the boat in 2014. So far so good with them too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Odyssey Batteries are not well advertised and they are expensive, but they are the most reliable, have the heaviest AGM cell construction, and strongest (leakproof) cases I have found. My RAM 2500 has a 16.5 Ton Warn Winch that presents no problems. When your miles away from nowhere, you don't want to loose your battery. This is even more true in the marine environment. I would say: don't buy cheap fuel, oil, batteries, or tires because you will pay the price later....

·
Registered
158 Posts
The heat in south Texas wreaks havoc on batteries. Apparently, the average life for batteries down here is about 3 years. I hear that hotter areas like Phoenix only get about 2 years out of batteries.
I'm in AZ and my first set died within a year. Just got on here because my second set just died today, a little less than 2 years. Wanted to see what everyone is switching over to as far as brands/type. Looks like AGM is the popular pick.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Well sam or costco should have you covered coast to coast. ..agm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had (2) Odyssey 65-PC1750 Batteries in my 2002 RAM 2500 4x4 for about (3) years. They've been over discharged a couple of times but still work strong. They are AGM design with thick virgin lead plates and strong leakproof cases. Expensive, though. Almost (2) years on another set in our 2000 Excursion 7.3L. No problems, yet but I'm not sure which Model No. Another small Odyssey in my 2005 Polaris MV7. I'll be getting them again when the time comes.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Unfortunately there's no Odyssey dealers that I can find that have them in stock. I can't wait and order them online. Looks like Sams or Costco it is. I think I'd rather buy directly from a store anyway just in case they fail early. I don't want to have to wait for an online dealer to send me a replacement. Thanks for the information though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did order mine online. Fast delivery but I couldn't go and pick them up. Best of luck with whatever you get. Semper fi.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nope, best way to do it.

But, buy good batteries, AGM are best. Got mine at Sam's.

Just curious, I didn't see the AGM's at my Costco. What are they going for at Sam's Club, and who makes the AGM's for Sam's? I currently have the AGM's that are 6 years old, would buy them again.

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just curious, I didn't see the AGM's at my Costco. What are they going for at Sam's Club, and who makes the AGM's for Sam's? I currently have the AGM's that are 6 years old, would buy them again.

Thanks
It looks like Sams sells Duracell and Costco sells Interstate. Don't know which one is better. I believe the battery is a 94R size and that runs $170 at Sams.

Reactions: topdog

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just dropped 439$ on batteries a few weeks ago at autozone. Oh man that hurt pretty good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just dropped 439$ on batteries a few weeks ago at autozone. Oh man that hurt pretty good.
Ouch.... that hurts. Batteries are entirely too expensive. For that money, you could've got these:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/ram/2500/2016/l6-6.7l-730cca-diesel/sli94ragmdp

10% instant savings when you buy on line and pick up in store then $20 mail in rebate right now. The rebate was $30 when I purchased mine. Plus 60 month free replacement vs 36 mo on AZ battery. I have one in the race car and one in the trailer. The one in the trailer runs an automatic roof vent fan all day long then shuts off at night when inside temp cools down. It has battery tender hooked up to it so it cycles everyday. One in the race car runs fans & pump between rounds. So far it runs the car all day long without having to charge it. So far so good, only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
AGM is the way to go. Ram used the worst and possible the cheapest battery source for the factory units.
^^^THIS^^^
Yep, Batteries, tires, and probably the water pumps too, all go the cheapest bidders.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts