Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New forum member here with a question about changing the batteries on my 2014 2500 Cummins. I've search this forum and most of the interwebs without finding the answer I'm looking for.

When dealing with a dual battery system, do I need to disconnect both batteries before doing the swap or should I only disconnect one at a time in order to keep a charge on the system and not lose all the stored memory settings (radio, power seat/mirrors, etc)? It would be nice to not have to reprogram everything. I've also read that some newer vehicles have to "re-learn" how you drive if the memory is wiped.

I'm concerned about damaging the electronics in the truck and costing myself a fortune repairing them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I prefer Odyssey batteries. I've gotten them through internet and with assistance over the phone. Thick virgin lead plates, heavy, leakproof case. I've had them for several years in my RAM 2500, one in my Polaris, and now have a set in our Excursion. They are worth looking at, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Any good battery is fine, just buy stock size. Surprises me factory batteries are bad already. Alternator good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does not matter, All you have to reset is the clock. Just like unplugging your computer at home. Any good battery is fine, just buy stock size. Surprises me factory batteries are bad already. Alternator good?
The heat in south Texas wreaks havoc on batteries. Apparently, the average life for batteries down here is about 3 years. I hear that hotter areas like Phoenix only get about 2 years out of batteries.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I prefer Odyssey batteries. I've gotten them through internet and with assistance over the phone. Thick virgin lead plates, heavy, leakproof case. I've had them for several years in my RAM 2500, one in my Polaris, and now have a set in our Excursion. They are worth looking at, anyway.

I had one in my Harley. Very nice battery. Lasts a long time. What size do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Does not matter, All you have to reset is the clock. Just like unplugging your computer at home. Any good battery is fine, just buy stock size. Surprises me factory batteries are bad already. Alternator good?
Factory batteries are cheapest bidding supplier junk.

And, the clock is not the only thing you have to reset if you disconnect both batteries.

·
Registered
35 Posts

And, the clock is not the only thing you have to reset if you disconnect both batteries.

.....or you could stick a +9 vdc 'Setting Keeper' in the +12 vdc Accessory Outlet before disconnecting both batteries. Note- I've got one but never used it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had one in my Harley. Very nice battery. Lasts a long time. What size do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to get back to you on this. I kept this kind of info in my 'notsosmart' phone and lost it in a reset. I need to go look....

·
Registered
55 Posts

I just disconnected both my batteries a week ago for about 3 hours while I added the audio controls to the steering wheel. The clock is all I had to reset but I only have the Uconnect 5.0 system so none of the real fancy stuff.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
I just disconnected both my batteries a week ago for about 3 hours while I added the audio controls to the steering wheel. The clock is all I had to reset but I only have the Uconnect 5.0 system so none of the real fancy stuff.
You must not have had any radio stations preset then.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Recently disconnected both my batteries for a little bit (30min or so) and everything stayed programmed except the clock. Same thing 5.0 system.

·
Registered
708 Posts
AGM is the way to go. Ram used the worst and possible the cheapest battery source for the factory units.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Had one battery go bad under warranty and the dealer replaced the one. I bet if the other one goes bad they suggest replacing both of them now that the warranty is gone.

Reactions: DDRamFan
1 - 20 of 66 Posts