Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 5spd that has a dead VP44. The current owner has just bought a HO VP44 that he is going to install on the truck. I did a little homework and found that it is not suggested to use a HO on a SO VP44. Questions:

1. Why not use a HO VP44 for a SO VP44?
2. If it is ok to do so will the truck "run" correctly?
3. Would a different set of injectors compliment the HO VP44?
4. Should I now stay away from the truck?
5. I want a truck that is streetable only, Hwy driving with good MPGs, is the HO VP44 the way to go?

Thanks in advance. Oh I have used the search feature, I know where it is at, I don't have time to sift through the pages of HO VP44 threads!:thumbsup: But did learn a lil more about the HO VP44 just not about the CONS of putting it on a SO VP44 truck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The little bit of info I know about the HO Vs the SO. do you plan on putting a tuner in like an edge comp? From my understanding the HO VP does the fuel timing already compared to the SO which doesn't. I've heard the SO can be more reliable, but as long as that HO has a good supply of fuel I don't see what the issue could be. If the guy has bought it why not?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
it all depends on what your plans for the truck are........ SO is better for longevity and also good for up to roughly 600 hp

HO might require a reflash im not 100% sure tho

Reactions: 1STCummins

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
1. the fuel delivery is different with different injectors and different compression.
2. The HO is not capable of high HP as a SO when chipped.
3. Driveability can be different. All do not react exactlly the same.
4. HO replacing SO is generally not recomended. Many different reasons. HO to SO has been successful from many previous reports.
that is about all I recall on this change. THE PO must have found a cheap Used HO from my reading between the lines. As far as I'm concerned all removed VP44's are cores. If you get one that lasts a reansonable time, good for you.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I put Ghostman's used rebuilt HO on my SO truck. Without the Quad, it's most definitely peppier. No other issues whatsoever stock. Now, with the Quad on the COMP2 tune it will surely buk at cruise on 6-10. I just took timing out of the tune & run that. Runs flat out scary !!!!! Here's the FACTS. HO has more agressive timing for quicker onset of power. It also has 5.5MM plungers, compared to the 6.0MM plungers of the SO pump. SO pump wins out in the high HP numbers. If you plan to do stupid power, you want an SO. If you just want a good truck to drive, an HO with a 60HP tuner (Edge EZ, Diablo etc) will be great to drive. If you do go with a bigger tuner, you need to play with the settings to keep from the bucking at cruise. If the price is right (And you an use the mismatched pumps to negotiate), get it.

Ed

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plans with the truck are to have a reliable (almost) daily driving truck. I don't plan on going with high HP. I want to have a great driveable truck that gets decent/good mpgs, and it should because it has a 5spd with 3:55 gears. Just read here and that the HO VP44 to SO motor is not recommended, but want to know what will happen to the truck.
1. Will the truck run as normal? ( Sounds like it will)
2. The truck has an Edge Juice w/ attitude will that compliment the HO pump?
3. If not edge or smarty, what will be a good programmer to match the HO VP44 on a SO truck?
4. Now as far as the injectors, will they have died because the VP44 died?
I bought a 04 yrs ago that had a dead LP that possibly killed the inj.s, however all parts were under warranty and replaced under warranty.

The PO says the pump is a New HO pump (IDK about that) all I can do is trust his word.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Just read here and that the HO VP44 to SO motor is not recommended, but want to know what will happen to the truck.
See Yank's post above. You can negotiate based on how the truck runs after the PO does the install. At least you'll know the engine is good for more than a boat anchor because it will run.

I discount everything that isn't documented. Any documentation of new VP? I'd at least have a credit card bill showing a $1,000 purchase even if the invoice was gone.

Be as concerned about he other weaknesses or deferred maintenance items ... fuel, steering, more front end etc, etc. A VP, should you need one, is $950. Be ready but you likely won't need it the 1st week of ownership.

These trucks are expensive to get back up to specs. Once there, not so bad but getting there costs money. Anything you ignore in your buying survey will cost you. Don't have truck fever. It makes your wallet lighter, not your head.

How is the rest of the truck? Does everything work including climate control? Measure coolant voltage. Is it <.3V? If not, the coolant needs changing and you may be needing a heater core.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Interesting, makes a lot of sense. Just put a volt meter between the coolant under the radiator cap and ground?
Yes per the instructions included with a heater core I had. They obviously didn't want to replace the core because the coolant hadn't been changed. Easy to check on the Ram. Can't get to the radiator on some other vehicles.

Reactions: NCWDave

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Keep the old pump if you can. Probably kust killed the lift pump & air bound the system...

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.