Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I’ve been out of the diesel game for several years now. I decided to dive back in and just picked up a 2014 CCSB 2500. It has 121k miles on it and was bone stock when I bought it a week ago. Today, I installed a Sinister Diesel remote bypass filter system. While installing, I took the air box and tubes off to the turbo. I got a nasty surprise. There was a small pile of metal in the plastic tube and the turbine wheel looks like it got thrown in a blender. The truck never gave me any symptoms of turbo failure on the 150 mile trip home from the dealer. I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer about an extended warranty I declined to purchase. My questions are,
1. If I have to suck it up and eat the cost, is a reman stock turbo still a good choice?
2. Do I need to replace the intercooler?
Im not deleting or making the truck any faster. It does just fine for me. Thanks for the help all as I’m in a bind now

·
Registered
145 Posts
What air filter are you using? Reason I ask, is AEM filters are known to come apart and damaging the turbo.

As far as the IC:
It has to be taken off, thoroughly BACK flushed, and leak tested. When flushing, catch the fluid in a coffee filter and inspect each time you flush. Use a mild detergent. Post pics of the particles in the coffee filter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure what filter it had on it. I just pulled it out and tossed it in the trash. It got a Donaldson for a replacement. I will be tearing into the intercooler tomorrow. With the pieces I found in the intake tube, I can’t believe the truck even runs. Do large pieces like this make it into the intake typically? I pulled the charge pipe from the turbo and didn’t see anything besides a little oil residue.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
The intercooler has tubes like a radiator or condenser, I doubt that anything bigger than the tube size got through. I’d take it off and rinse using acetone from the drivers side to the passenger side. It’ll get rid of any residue that’s in there. Use a leaf blower to blow it out also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The intercooler has tubes like a radiator or condenser, I doubt that anything bigger than the tube size got through. I’d take it off and rinse using acetone from the drivers side to the passenger side. It’ll get rid of any residue that’s in there. Use a leaf blower to blow it out also.
That makes me fee a lot better. I was worried I bought a ticking time bomb. I will get after it tomorrow and see how far I get. Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts