Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on other site i can use a steering wheel puller to remove the pump gear to remove my injection pump to repair my tappet cover. Has anybody on here tried that or should i order a gear puller from Industrial Injection or another supplier? Im not going to start this project for another week so ill have time to order one if need be. I already have a steering wheel puller here so if i can use that it would be great. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good deal. I have to replace my tappet cover gasket. Its leaking very bad and i lose my quickly. Looks like the actual plate is warped too. Wont know for sure until the pump is removed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!! When i go to reinstall the pump what all should i do?

I know to oil pump gasket on the back side of the timing case.

Should i clean the gear with brake cleaner before reinstalling it?

Any other tricks i should know before i pull it apart?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made sure it was the tappet cover. I really don't want to have to pull everything to change it so i've looked everywhere for the leak. i took a metal hanger and make a long wire. i can actaully stick that under the cover from underneath my truck. No forcing or pushing involved. The gasket is gone from the bottom right side of the tappet cover

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.