Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on other site i can use a steering wheel puller to remove the pump gear to remove my injection pump to repair my tappet cover. Has anybody on here tried that or should i order a gear puller from Industrial Injection or another supplier? Im not going to start this project for another week so ill have time to order one if need be. I already have a steering wheel puller here so if i can use that it would be great. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good deal. I have to replace my tappet cover gasket. Its leaking very bad and i lose my quickly. Looks like the actual plate is warped too. Wont know for sure until the pump is removed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!! When i go to reinstall the pump what all should i do?

I know to oil pump gasket on the back side of the timing case.

Should i clean the gear with brake cleaner before reinstalling it?

Any other tricks i should know before i pull it apart?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Good deal. I have to replace my tappet cover gasket. Its leaking very bad and i lose my quickly. Looks like the actual plate is warped too. Wont know for sure until the pump is removed.
What you see that looks warped is most likely the insulation covering the cover. If the tappet cover gasket is completely missing as you describe, you have other problems causing this as this gasket doesn't just "fall" out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
RP is correct. It is much more likely the seals have failed on your vacuum pump than the tappet cover gasket needs replaced. My insulation cover is warped just as you describe yet I have no leaks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made sure it was the tappet cover. I really don't want to have to pull everything to change it so i've looked everywhere for the leak. i took a metal hanger and make a long wire. i can actaully stick that under the cover from underneath my truck. No forcing or pushing involved. The gasket is gone from the bottom right side of the tappet cover

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would be sure to pin the engine and pump so everything goes back together OK. Also tripple clean the pump snout with brake cleaner when you get ready to assemble so it will not slip timing later. This link might help explain pinning the pump, etc.
TSB 18-10-94 Rev. A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.