Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got all the parts for my 89' dodge after having the tranny lockup on the interstate last fall. I have everything unbolted except the torque converter bolts. I got 2 of them out through the inspection plate by bumping the starter(big hassle). I was wondering if there is a trick to getting these out. I can't find a way to get to the crank pulley without tearing apart the front end. I tried to take the fan/clutch off, but can't get the bug nut to break loose, just spins belt on pulleys. Any advise that will make this process simpler would be great

·
Registered
112 Posts
You have to get at them through the axcess hole in plate that mounts the trans to the engine. If you don't have a starter button you can move flywheel with big screw driver or pry bar and rotate them around to the hole. Hole is located under the tank that is the trans cooler on the passenger side.

·
Banned
553 Posts
there is also a special tool that fits in that acces hole on the new ones not sure about our first gens?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You need a barring tool,it has a gear on one end and a hole for a 1/2 drive rachet on the other. Their will be a round rubber plug on the adapter plate that it fit's in,makes it easy.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Bah bah bah bah.

Spin the engine backwards with a 7/8" socket on the alternator pulley.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Or you can pull the converter inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing and use a pry bar or screwdriver to bar the motor over. Stick your finger in the bolt access hole to feel for the next bolt. This way you can stay under the truck.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i agree with diesel nut but instead of feeling for the next bolt theres an arrow under the inspection cover that will tell you when its lined up you might have to wipe it off though its on the adapter plate
ch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts