Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Tie rod will need adjustment as your caster will change a little. But first thing would have been to get new Pittman arm on, I suggest leaving tie rod alone, center steering wheel, adjust drag link and get the truck to a reputable shop and give him thurens alignment specs. A shop that uses experience rather then a computer to tell them
What tolerances and measurements to use

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
I am hoping the later...

I am assuming the different clocking of the stock to drop pitman arm is normal then... Hopefully, he gets it right this time. I think the manual on the shop computer was confusing him. He was adjusting the Tie Rod which was only adjusting the toe on the drivers side. He needed to probably do nothing with the Tie Rod and only adjust the length of the Drag Link.

Proper procedure is bring total toe to 0.00 and then once that’s set. Leave it (tie rod) alone. Then adjust the adjuster sleeve on your drag link that has two bolts, one on each side. If steering wheel is really out of whack then remove drag link from pitman arm. Straighten wheel. Then reattach drag link to pitman arm. Then fine tune with sleeve

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That is what I was expecting him to do, and what I told him to do when I went over there yesterday. Keep your fingers crossed... :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Order a synergy drag link and throw that old one out. First of all its a defective product and the recall will wants it to be welded, but worst yet yours has been modified for the first pitman arm change. For $300 for a new better drag link seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well guys, a lot of questions for absolutely no reason. I knew what needed to be done, and so did you guys. He got the truck back to me this evening with the print out and holy sh!t balls... this is the way a $60k truck is supposed to ride.

I hit a bump from stripped road to paved going 65-70, about a 6-8" transition (they put a slight angle with filler to help the bump with a sign that said Bump), one that sends the wife's Mazda CX5 into orbit and one that used to shake my truck like it was going to fall apart... so we hit it... and the wife asked if I did something to the truck. its absolutely amazing based off the 40-50 miles I have driven tonight. :grin2::grin2::grin2: I could not be more happy.

I really appreciate your guys' help. If i learned anything from this, I am better off doing it myself and if I do need help (alignment), explain exactly what needs done the first time.

Now onto new tires, wheels and baja style fenders to get rid of the rubbing! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
What shocks did you get? Original post says king 2" resi.

Just curious more than anything. I have a order in for 2" front coils, 3/4" drop rear coils and 2" kings. I bought it all blind though, never ridden in anything thuren. Or carli. Or king.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What shocks did you get? Original post says king 2" resi.

Just curious more than anything. I have a order in for 2" front coils, 3/4" drop rear coils and 2" kings. I bought it all blind though, never ridden in anything thuren. Or carli. Or king.
You may look nose high with 2" up in the front and 3/4" drop in rear, especially with a load, even a very light one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I have 2.5" up front... gave me about 2.125-2.25" lift with the diesel and the mega cab. Out back i have the 1in Thuren LIFT springs and it is about dead nuts level, sometimes I think it even has a sligggggghhhhht Cali lean.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
so what ended up being to fix to your pitman arm issue?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I have 2.5" up front... gave me about 2.125-2.25" lift with the diesel and the mega cab. Out back i have the 1in Thuren LIFT springs and it is about dead nuts level, sometimes I think it even has a sligggggghhhhht Cali lean.
Time will tell. I have a 2018 2500 mega, and my factory rake is at about 3.25-3.5". Worse case I'm swapping 2" front springs for 1" if it bugs me.

You may look nose high with 2" up in the front and 3/4" drop in rear, especially with a load, even a very light one.
You guys "load" your trucks? Doesn't that scratch the hitches and the beds?

Seriously though, I rarely haul anything. I'd like to be level-ish. If hauling gets to be an issue, or i see an opportunity id like to take advantage of, I'll supplement with timbrens or bags. I've had the truck a year and only had about 2 times where it was loaded for more than a 20 mile trip home from the hardware.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fix was me going over there and telling him he was doing it wrong and showing him what to do.

All he needed to do was adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. :chicken:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Fix was me going over there and telling him he was doing it wrong and showing him what to do.

All he needed to do was adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. :chicken:
WOW, I would never ever use that shop again. Pretty much ever last steering system since the 1940's or earlier use an adjustable drag link to center the steering wheel. How in the world can a mechanic not know this.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts