Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of installing some sort of remote start and/or engine kill switch feature to my 1999 Cummins (that is, once I solve the VP44 issue and have it running again). Not sure if anyone has done this before, but thought I'd see what you guys recommend.

Although I don't know what this feature is called, one item that interested me the most was having some ability to semi-securely leave the engine running while removing the ignition key. In doing so, I'd like to be able to make brief stops without having to shut the engine down/restart, and not worry about someone simply driving off in my truck.

I know that some system like this exists for gasoline engines, though I've never seen it marketed, and I'm not sure what it is called. I work in law enforcement, and we've had a system like this installed in our police cruisers for at least the past 6-7 years or so. Basically, the way it works is that you press a button, then turn the ignition key to the off position and remove it like you normally would. The engine will remain running, but will shut off if someone gets in without the key and presses the brake peddle in an attempt to put the car in gear (the system will just disengage itself if the ignition key is placed back in the vehicle and turned to the "run" position).

Does anyone make something like this that would work with the Ram diesels? If so, is it made as a stand-alone system, or can I also get it with a remote start/keyless entry feature?

My truck does have power locks, but it does not currently have keyless entry installed that I'm aware of. I also have an automatic transmission, in case that matters.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Well, a much less expensive and complicated solution would be to have a second key cut. Leave the key in the ignition with the truck running and lock the door, run your errands, then unlock the door with the second key when you need to get back into the truck. Of course the two key idea does nothing to protect your truck if someone wants to steal it while idling...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Shoot- you could even use a label maker to make a couple of stickers that say:

Vehicle Owned By Law Enforcement Personnel

I'd think if you put those on the bottom corners of the driver and passenger windows, it would be an effective deterrent. Now you've got a complete system for <$5! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
On a more serious note back to your question, you may want to check out this link: Secure-Idle. If they don't have a product listed for diesel engines, perhaps you could call and see if they can send you in the right direction...

·
Registered
126 Posts
MOST like 98% of all remote start/keyless entry systems have a Pit stop feature.

While running, you hold the remote start button, after a couple seconds pull the key out and BAM! its still running. I do it all the time on mine. All of the remote start safety/theft features will prohibit someone stealing it in pit stop mode obviously.

So just get a remote start keyless entry system. its super easy to add keyless entry to one of our trucks that have power locks and no keyless entry.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MOST like 98% of all remote start/keyless entry systems have a Pit stop feature.

While running, you hold the remote start button, after a couple seconds pull the key out and BAM! its still running. I do it all the time on mine. All of the remote start safety/theft features will prohibit someone stealing it in pit stop mode obviously.

So just get a remote start keyless entry system. its super easy to add keyless entry to one of our trucks that have power locks and no keyless entry.
Okay, glad to hear this would work with most remote start/keyless entry systems. And, I'm really glad to hear that they aren't too hard to add to a truck that already has power locks!

Can you recommend a brand of these products that you like?

This isn't my most pressing project, since the truck is waiting to have a new injection pump put in before it will even start... But, once I start making road trips again, this would be a nice feature to have!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I usually order the Basic remote start keyless entry systems from ecarsecurity.com You will need to get 2 relays to get the door locks to work.

The 2 way remotes are garbage. I have probably installed 15ish of the regular 200rs kits, NEVER had one come back. If you want a system with crazy distance capability, have a compustar or Viper system installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts