Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has the factory remote start and it is utterly useless. You pretty much have to be standing beside the truck to get it to work.
Is this normal? Or is there something I can do to improve the range?
I have a fresh battery in my key fob.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You can get UConnect and download the app to your smart phone if you have one. Then you can remote start the truck anywhere.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I've tested this and can reproduce 50 yards easily.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine usually works all the way across my work parking lot. I would estimate it at 75 yards. I went through a period where I would have to be almost next to it for it to work. I thought it was the remote battery but after replacing it it was the same. A few weeks later it started working normal. I chalked it up to some sort of interference as one of my coworkers trucks had the same issue. My garage door opener is another issue. It works when it wants to it seems.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
Mine will reach at least from my front door to the end of my driveway, about 75-80 feet, haven't needed much more than that.

Are you trying it outside a building or from inside? It's a low power signal, so easily obstructed.

·
Cummins Freak
3,252 Posts
I agree that there are a lot of things that can affect Range. Sometimes I have to be right by my truck and I have also started it from 100 yards away!!!

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Maybe metal walls around you o truck?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yea, I've noticed the range with the key fob is not as long as it should be.

I have the u-connect app too, though. And with that you can remote start from anywhere in the world, INCLUDING the ISS ( International Space Station).

Anyone set up automation for starting your truck at a set time? Example, if you work everyday at 6AM, set Alexa or Google to remote start at 5:50AM.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get UConnect and download the app to your smart phone if you have one. Then you can remote start the truck anywhere.
I don't think mine is compatible with UConnect. I don't have the option in my radio. And my range is literally like 10 feet away maximum. Kind of useless feature if you have to be standing right beside the truck for it to work

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I don't think mine is compatible with UConnect. I don't have the option in my radio. And my range is literally like 10 feet away maximum. Kind of useless feature if you have to be standing right beside the truck for it to work
The range on one of my fobs went to almost nothing for the remote start. Works fine for door locks, though. The other is only 80-100ft at most although the manual claims 300.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
70 to 100 feet at best. Try to use it from the front of the office -- through large polarized tinted windows -- and it won't reach 40 feet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hold the fob against your chin or side of your head when you need better range. It works.

And I think your batteries are shot. I have never replaced the batteries in my 2016 fobs and they still start the truck from way across a parking lot.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
Hold the fob against your chin or side of your head when you need better range. It works.
Is that with or without a metal plate in your head???:rof

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

And I think your batteries are shot. I have never replaced the batteries in my 2016 fobs and they still start the truck from way across a parking lot.
myth busters did a story on this.

I too personally tested it.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
It creates a better signal ground. Similar to having a radio antenna in the meddle of the cab rather than a bumper corner or like touching the rabbit ears on an old TV antenna.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
No metal plate needed, Just like a human lightening rod on a golf course. People/animals make good electrical ground/antenna.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts