Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an aftermarket alarm with remote start installed at a stereo shop, and the remote start isn't working correctly.

When the engine is warm the remote start works. It still waits for 15 seconds or so and starts the engine. However, when the motor is cold, like in the morning, it waits the 15 seconds, and starts the motor. Then about 3-5 seconds later it shuts off. Then after another 15 seconds starts again, then shuts off again. What is going on?

Car toys installers are stumped. They contacted DEI, who makes the brains for all aftermarket alarms, and they said to take it to the dealer and have the factory alarm disabled. So, I did. The service writer put on the Star scan and couldn't find a way to disable the factory alarm. Is this possible? He said if I make an appointment, a tech might be able to do it, but he couldn't find it on the Star scan.

I've been back to the stereo shop 4x because of various issues with the alarm. I'd like to get this solved. Thanks in advance and sorry for the book.

I forgot to mention, the alarm is a Clifford 50.5X.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You probably have to remove the SKIM code, the key identification module. I have a Viper system, also by DEI, and I do have a P-code set that states the SKIM is not programmed. That's the immobilizer built into the key or fob that is required to disarm the security on the truck. Truck starts without SKIM present? Apparently it'll run 3-5 secs and then shut the fuel off.

Try remote starting the truck while sitting in it, with the keys out, but near the ignition. Maybe it'll pickup the key/fob and allow the truck to keep running. That might narrow down your problem.

·
Free parts distributor
5,078 Posts
wow.... and i thought i was the only person with this problem... HELP! haha... sucks to have a $1k alarm and not be able to use all the functions...

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow.... and i thought i was the only person with this problem... HELP! haha... sucks to have a $1k alarm and not be able to use all the functions...
Nope, your not the only one. I bought this alarm specifically for the remote start.:thud: We've been troubleshooting the door locks not locking, horn honking on remote start, stuff like that for last two weeks. Solved that stuff but not the cold remote start problem.

Styler, thatnks for the tip. We have started it while seated inside. The problem sonly seems to occur with a cold motor. After a few shots at troubleshooting the motor warms and it works like it should. AAARRRRRGGH!

Anyone have any thoughts? How about the dealership stuff I posted earlier? Can the dealer disable the factory alarm? DEI says they can and it will solve the problems, but the service manager isn't sure they can disable it.

·
Free parts distributor
5,078 Posts
i wouldnt think the factory alarms makes a difference.... if it did to me it would shut it off warm or cold...... to me its something with the alarm setting... i know they monitor rpm and such... maybe when the motor is cold its getting a bad reading or something? shuts down then restarts?

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was thinking the same way. I was thinking when the engine is cold the grid heater cycles and the alarm waits to start. Grid heater goes off, truck starts. Grid heater cycles back on, truck dies.

But I haven't proven that theory yet. I gotta wait until the morning when it's cold enough for the engine to want to use the grid heater.

I posed this theory to the intaller and he said he didn't have any connection to the grid heater, just a timer in the alarm (clifford) brain. I don't know. :CRY:

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it's only when it's cold:

You need to find the wire that feeds the 'wait to start' lamp on your dash. You don't want your C.Start to operate until the grid heaters have cycled completely. This can take upwards of 30 seconds where I'm at. The timer is a typical timer that can be set. But for it to work 'properly' it needs to sense the truck.

I've only ever heard mine quit once. The command start did its thing again: cycled the ignition, waited for the lamp to go out, and she started like a dream that time.

I don't think that the 'grid heaters cycling back on' would cut the engine. They do normally cycle as the truck warms up. I hate it 'cause it dims everything out and drives me nuts. (Gonna get a big alternator to solve that.)

Gotta check your wiring. Get the installers manual yourself. Or take it to someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

·
Free parts distributor
5,078 Posts
i pretty much never get my wait to start light where im at.... south louisiana...:lol3: imma check into it though.... sounds like a possible cause/issue

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'll be doing some testing this a.m.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have an 07 5.9 2500 Laramie and have the exact same issues that you all are describing. I've talked to numerous professional car electronics installers and they all have the same answer:

"From 06 through 07 is the worst years for trying to institute an aftermarket remote start system alarm. Being that the system taps into the ignition and requires a specific amount of current down to the precise amount it's EXTREMELY difficult to make things work in most cases."

This has prompted us to just have the damned remote start option yanked and disabled. It's nice having it in the winter time but honestly this is about starting to drive me nuts.

Put it this way, the idiot installer that worked on our system took THREE WEEKS from start to finish to figure out the remote start feature. Granted he's a tool but still after a certain point you just say screw it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ive seen this happen a few times, i myself am a car audio tech and install only DEI equipment. make sure your WTS is set properly, that its heating the block long enough, and also ask the installer if he hooked up tha tach wire, for tach signal, thats the biggest issue i see with all cars, with no tach it makes it harder for the car to start, you can also have them turn up your crank time, the remote starts come standard to crank at .06 of a sec, but i have turned some up to .10 of a sec to help it better. Now for as the skim module goes ( i hate those things ) try sticking your key in the ignition ( without turning it) and try remote starting it, if you have no problem doin that then you automatically know that its the bypass and not the truck or the RS brain. hope this helps!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Highly believe it the is tach wire. Just installed alarm/remote start this week. Per the instructions if the tach wire is not getting the proper readings to the remote starter brain. Then it thinks the truck is not running so it shuts everything down and restarts till it get the tach's idle rpms. Unless it dosen't obtain the good reading then the start and restarting we be a recur.

I had to solder my connections and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
there is the dark/blue / gray is what the DEI techs always say to use, i had a guy with an 06 CTD and he had a viper RS in there for over a year and it would start, run for 30sec, then shutdown. i hooked up tach (he never had it before) and it started and stayed running. hopes this helps

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't re-visited this thread for a long time. Car Toys figured out the problem and it WAS the tach wire. Thanks for your help gentlemen,
Shag

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
no problem glad to help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts