Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer told me they could do it when I bought my new 2016 and there was nothing on the remote start instructions or verbage thru Ram that said "you couldn't" add remote start. My dealer never put one on a 2016 Ram truck with a manual before and everything showed they could.

After 2 days of trying, they finally gave up, called Ram and Ram says they messed up and forgot to mention "it will NOT work with the 2016 Ram trucks with the 6 speed manual".

Since I really want it, the dealer is ordering an aftermarket remote start to install on my truck. Asked them if this will void the warranty....they said "it will not void warranty". Told them to put it in writing.

So with this.....Ram does not have a factory remote start for manual trucks, but will put an aftermarket one on. Just an FYI

· Registered
813 Posts
Yup. Never been able to configure a truck with manual and remote start. Aftermarket systems usually require you to perform a ritual to be able to remote start. I put a viper system in my old Tacoma, and before shutting down I had to press the remote start button, press the clutch pedal, turn off the key, put it in neutral, then release the clutch. After 3 seconds it would turn the engine off.

There's a common misconception that one small change to a vehicle (or any product) will void a warranty, but that's a myth. By law, they must prove that a modification caused an issue that they would deny coverage for.

· Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Dealer told me they could do it when I bought my new 2016 and there was nothing on the remote start instructions or verbage thru Ram that said "you couldn't" add remote start. My dealer never put one on a 2016 Ram truck with a manual before and everything showed they could.

After 2 days of trying, they finally gave up, called Ram and Ram says they messed up and forgot to mention "it will NOT work with the 2016 Ram trucks with the 6 speed manual".

Since I really want it, the dealer is ordering an aftermarket remote start to install on my truck. Asked them if this will void the warranty....they said "it will not void warranty". Told them to put it in writing.

So with this.....Ram does not have a factory remote start for manual trucks, but will put an aftermarket one on. Just an FYI
......sounds like a major safety issue to me. :stirpot:

Reactions: cjgoode

· Registered
175 Posts
This is what my owners manual says:

REMOTE STARTING SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED

This system uses the RKE Key Fob to start the engine conveniently from outside the vehicle while still maintaining security. The system has a range of approximately 300 ft (91 m)

NOTE:
• The vehicle must be equipped with an automatic transmission to be equipped with Remote Start.

· Registered
6,540 Posts
Last vehicle w manual that I put remote start in had a safety feature that would tell if the vehicle was in gear. Like a neutral safety type switch and would not allow truck to turn over unless

· Registered
283 Posts
Might check with these guys. I put one on my 12 works great. 3 horn beeps and it starts added start delay and run time can be set to your liking. Mine was complete plug and play. Only had to remove the lower dash under the steering wheel

doug43235 | eBay

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
My buddy has one in his 14. he had an aftermarket installer do it and he was given the option of doing the ritual, or bypassing the NSS and being able to start it in gear but not having to do the ritual. He claimed he would never have an issue. a week later while trying to show it off he almost let the truck drive it self straight into a creek. but was able to stop it it in time. To this day he swears he left it in neutral, but we know better. Most aftermarket systems, if the door is opened after the ritual was done, it would shut off the remote start until the ritual has been done again, unless of course you bypass the ritual and then you can start it whenever you want. For me, a remote start in a manual is a no go because i ALWAYS leave it in gear. for the autos, its a must IMHO

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you all when it comes down to safety and not having the truck end up running into stuff.

As mentioned about the "ritual", there will be a safety check that the truck will go into. Parking brake must be on, transmission in neutral and they said a momentary switch will need to be activated before the truck will remote start. This momentary switch gets activated upon exit of the vehicle before the remote start. This feature also lets the owner of the vehicle crank the engine with the clutch out as a clutch bypass....

I will know more when they install it and let you know what is required to start it.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last vehicle w manual that I put remote start in had a safety feature that would tell if the vehicle was in gear. Like a neutral safety type switch and would not allow truck to turn over unless
I'm hoping my new truck has the neutral safety switch.

Thinking here....my truck will only engage the "Jake" engine brake if in gear and the clutch out, so there must be something that tells the computer it is in gear. Or, is it by rpm? Hmmmmm, thinking.....

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, my Super Duty 6 speed had remote start and needed a sequence to start it. But could start in gear which would/could have been bad.

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
Thinking here....my truck will only engage the "Jake" engine brake if in gear and the clutch out, so there must be something that tells the computer it is in gear. Or, is it by rpm? Hmmmmm, thinking.....
It's RPM on a stock tune, with no throttle. Mine cuts out around 1000 i think...might be 1200. idk all i know is i think it cuts out to early. if i manually shift gears i can keep it going and almost bring myself to a full stop. but in auto mode on stock tranny tunes she seems like she wants to jump to a higher gear while decelerating way to early. it seems like she pops into neutral around 20-25 MPH

· Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm hoping my new truck has the neutral safety switch.

it doesn't "engage" it.. all it is, is the sliding vanes in the turbo, there's nothing really to engage.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's RPM on a stock tune, with no throttle. Mine cuts out around 1000 i think...might be 1200. idk all i know is i think it cuts out to early. if i manually shift gears i can keep it going and almost bring myself to a full stop. but in auto mode on stock tranny tunes she seems like she wants to jump to a higher gear while decelerating way to early. it seems like she pops into neutral around 20-25 MPH
Exactly Loki223

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
**UPDATE**

My remote start is in and works awesome!

Truck was taken down to my dealer on Monday afternoon. They gave me a very nice Blue/White Camaro to drive while my truck was getting the box replaced and the remote start put in.

After work, I was driving down to pick up my truck as I know the guys personally at the shop that put my remote start in.....figured I would go down there and see how they were doing. My bud says, "Yup, shes done! What a beautiful truck!" He showed me the sequence that I have to do so I can use the remote start, but couldn't hold back his laughter as he told me what the guys from the dealership said....

Some of you may have read the problems I had with dents from my dealer on my brand new truck, so when the truck was dropped off, the guys told my friend to "Make sure you treat this truck with extreme care! The customer is pissed and he's a monster of a dude! No scratches or dents as we just replaced the box on this bad boy because of dents that were put in by us! Please be careful!!!" I darn near wet my pants laughing so hard.....LOL

Anyway....

Remote start is a Viper and works great! The sequence I have to do while running is:
#1 - press the brake.
#2 - While holding the main brake, press and lock the parking brake. (This is their way of making sure the truck is in neutral)
#3 - Release main brake
#4 - Press remote start button...sound is kind of cool from remote letting me know system is working and dash lights will flash 5 times
#5 - Turn off and remove key (truck will remain running)
#6 - Depart vehicle and press door lock on remote (Doors will lock, engine will shut down and horn will beep once)

This will be the procedure for when I want to remote start the truck the next time.

If I want to just leave the truck run while I am close by, then I can either "not" lock the doors or they said if I do the "Parking brake twice" method (which I haven't tried yet) then the doors can be locked and it won't shut off the truck.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just programmed the parking lights and fog lights to go on when remote started. Now that the warmer days are here....I can cool the truck off before getting into it and see from my office that it is running.

Plus, the auxiliary button now activates my windows. 1 press, the drivers window goes down....2 presses they all go down. Then 1 press and they all go up.

Only bad part is if I unlock the door after the sequence and shut down...it will reset and not let me use the remote start. Guess that is their fail safe method.

· Registered
1,882 Posts

It was too my knowledge that you CAN'T put remote start on a manual mainly due to the fact that most of us standard drivers will put the truck in gear after shutting down aswell as the parking brake. I'm not sure if it's a law here in utah, but the 3 shops I've been to asking to have remote start installed on my Truck (See sig) tell me that they are not allowed to put remote start on any Manual vehicle and I can see why. What if I used remote start and it was in gear? I'm sure that there is a way to make it so the clutch stays disengaged, but things like that always fail. And if it did happen to fail, and it was in gear (Lets say first gear. On my truck it's 'L') I don't need to touch the skinny pedal for it to take off. I can literally just drop the clutch in first gear with out touching the gas pedal and it will start moving. Imagine that with remote start! It'd take out what ever was in front of it.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was too my knowledge that you CAN'T put remote start on a manual mainly due to the fact that most of us standard drivers will put the truck in gear after shutting down as well as the parking brake. I'm not sure if it's a law here in utah, but the 3 shops I've been to asking to have remote start installed on my Truck (See sig) tell me that they are not allowed to put remote start on any Manual vehicle and I can see why. What if I used remote start and it was in gear? I'm sure that there is a way to make it so the clutch stays disengaged, but things like that always fail. And if it did happen to fail, and it was in gear (Lets say first gear. On my truck it's 'L') I don't need to touch the skinny pedal for it to take off. I can literally just drop the clutch in first gear with out touching the gas pedal and it will start moving. Imagine that with remote start! It'd take out what ever was in front of it.
Ram remote start will not work with the manual....my dealer tried. My dealer hooked me up with an aftermarket remote start which has a sequence to make sure you don't have it in gear and there is nobody in the truck.

I hear ya about how the truck will crawl without touching the pedal....that would not be good.

The shop that put mine in has been in business since I started driving and they said Wisconsin does not have a law saying you can't put a remote start in a manual, but the methods to try and make things safer or idiot proof are more demanding. That is why I have the sequence I have to follow which makes it almost impossible to have in gear. The way they install makes it not void the warranty also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.