Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of your input/opinion about the Amsoil remote bypass filter kit. I have been thinking of adding the kit to my 2016 CTD 3/4Ton 4x4 Tradesman. I have 80,000 miles on my truck, do my own fluid and filter changes every 10 to 15,000 with Rotella T6 and use Lucas or Howes fuel additives. No problems, I just know the ERG stuff really pollutes the oil and this kit appears to help with that. Just need your advise, you guys are a wealth of knowledge, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had the dual amsoil filter bypass kit on my 02 Ram 2500. Worked awesome, kept the oil super clean with 2 filters. I always used Donaldson filters.

Reactions: pbdboy49

·
Registered
146 Posts
I put on an Amsoil about a month ago on my 2017.

Won't know how the oil looks until I change it and I will be sending a sample in for analysis.

I read a ton of good things about it.

Better filtration...sounds good to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
Those kits are for sure good for one thing, lightening your wallet.

531K on my truck's engine (with fully working EGR) just using regular non-synthetic oil and a good regular style oil filter, no extra filtering, and it's still going strong.

Spend the money and put one on your truck if it makes you feel better, won't hurt the engine, but good regular maintenance is all you really need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those kits are for sure good for one thing, lightening your wallet.

531K on my truck's engine (with fully working EGR) just using regular non-synthetic oil and a good regular style oil filter, no extra filtering, and it's still going strong.

Spend the money and put one on your truck if it makes you feel better, won't hurt the engine, but good regular maintenance is all you really need.
Im going to install a couple more just for good measure...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
Unless you plan on greatly extending your oil change index and using oil analysis, it is a waste of money.

Does it filter the oil to a finer point than the full flow? Sure does. Will it make a difference in the long run? Doubt it.

Your truck will long rot away before you will realize any benefit from bypass. Some say it will help with soot. Sure it will, after you greatly extend your index and actually have enough soot in the oil that the dispersants cant keep up. Cummins specs 3% as condemnation. The best I can so for soot was 0.57% at 24,000km that had plenty of cold starts and short trips.

But hey, free country, do what you want.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you bypass the bypass, does bypass #1 become a primary? 🤔

·
Registered
874 Posts
I started using an Oilguard bypass when I was putting on a lot more miles, really fast. I ran 25k OCIs several times and the UOAs always said to keep running it but I changed it anyway. Soot was always really low... .1%. I bought the filters for [email protected] and I still have plenty of them. I move the filter to my new trucks, whenever I trade. Get the Frantz if you want to save a big chunk... ROI will be much quicker. I changed them on dads trucks 60 years ago and the oil stayed clean for the cost of TP. A bypass will pay for itself if you do UOAs and get your monies worth out of it, plus you won't be under the truck as often. Craig

Reactions: pbdboy49 and BrianF

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If you’re worried about the egr, Amsoil bypass will not remove soot from your oil. I tried it on my 04.5 because they were famous for sooting up the oil. I always did 7500 mile oil changes. Installed the bypass and extended to 15,000. Oil samples showed serious soot thickening. I canned the bypass and went back to 7500 mile changes with decent oil analysis reports.

·
Registered
874 Posts
FWIW, when I bought my oilguard stuff about 20 years ago, they told me their filter removes soot. I said... oh really, soot is submicron. They said their filter coalesces soot particles til they can be captured. All I can say is, my soot is always really low. Frantz is still the only one I would use, now, cuz of the low cost. All other brands rape you on their filters. A tip about Frantz... find TP that is oversized so it has to be forceably stuffed into the can and it will REALLY filter! Changing the TP really isn't very messy, either. Craig

Reactions: BrianF and pbdboy49
1 - 11 of 11 Posts