Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little while ago I noticed my truck would almost fall on it's face and the rpms would spike; as if it had down shifted/gone into neutral while cruising at roughly 45mph, it then would start happening at lower speeds down to about 35mph when just cruising around. It scared me as I thought my trans had started slipping so I parked it for about a month or two. Well I got to talking to some people and they suggested maybe my bands were out of adjustment. So I called down to the local trans shop and went for a road test and he decided that my trans was in good shape (no slipping) and that it was having "relay shifting" problems. And that my trans was fine and good to drive. I went ahead and had him do a band adjustment, fluid change, filter change as well as he adjusted shifter linkage. Well this "relay shifting" issue is really starting to annoy me, and it's becoming unpleasant to drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Sounds like what you are describing is shuttle shifting. Rather common problem as these trucks age. It has been linked to electrical noise wreaking havoc on electronics systems in the truck The main source of this "noise" is excess AC geing generated by the alternator. A simple test of this is to unplug the alternator fuse in the fuse panel under hood ,drivers side, and go for a ride. If the problem is eliminated the problem is the alternator and it should be replaced. Have you checked for codes?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like what you are describing is shuttle shifting. Rather common problem as these trucks age. It has been linked to electrical noise wreaking havoc on electronics systems in the truck The main source of this "noise" is excess AC geing generated by the alternator. A simple test of this is to unplug the alternator fuse in the fuse panel under hood ,drivers side, and go for a ride. If the problem is eliminated the problem is the alternator and it should be replaced. Have you checked for codes?

The guy I took my truck to said something about disconnecting the alternator and driving it around and seeing if it help, he described this situation as the truck has gotten a bad habit. So remove the fuse, (can I also just disconnect the 10mm bolt?) drive around and then hook it back up and see if that fixed it? I haven't checked for any codes how do I go about that? Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
you will need to hook up a scanner to the port located under the dash just left of the ashtray. Look up under you will see it. You can either buy one or borrow one for free at many parts stores. It will read codes and also delete codes after you make note of them. The fuse is labelled alt, it may have a bolt holding it down I just cant recall.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you will need to hook up a scanner to the port located under the dash just left of the ashtray. Look up under you will see it. You can either buy one or borrow one for free at many parts stores. It will read codes and also delete codes after you make note of them. The fuse is labelled alt, it may have a bolt holding it down I just cant recall.

My buddy has a scan tool I can probably use or I'll just take a trip to the auto parts store and see about using one. Also, I looked three separate times and couldn't find the fuse labeled "ALT". Can I just unhook the alternator and take a quick 15min drive and hook it back up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.