Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in my manual, it says at 7500mi to grease the front drive shaft fitting. I cannot find the fitting, where is it??

I also took my truck in for the first oil change at 7500mi (exactly what the manual says, charged me $50 :woot:). The dealer says to change every 3500, is he full of crap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
no..i change my oil every 3000...i would recommend changing the oil yourself..there are some very poor quality fluids out there and most of them seem to hang around the stealerships..also, check around the U-joint..you should find the fitting pretty quick cosidering its a new truck and should be pretty clean underneath

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the U-Joints, none of them have zerks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked around the transfer case, everywhere for them.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
let me grab a creaper and a flash light and run outside...mines a 01 but it should be in the same general area

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
well..it turns out that its raining out..sorry..ill check tomrrow if your still unsure

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I really appreciate it! My and my dad searched up and down for that fitting!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
on my "05" there is one grease point on the front driveline by the transfer case. it does not have a zert fitting. it needs a needle type grease gun

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's a flush fitting you need the needle fitting for the grease gun :thumbsup

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so it's on the driveshaft itself by the joints? I'll go take another look. Thank You!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I do my own oil changes, with 15w40 Rotella T and a can of BG MOA. Interval at 5k. I do a thorough under vehicle inspection once or twice a year, includes lubing all grease fittings and check all fluids not under the hood.

My 01 has a grease fitting on the front of the rear driveshaft at the U-joint. Good luck finding the spot for a needle gun, you may need someone to point it out for you.

Ops

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The oil change interval = OCI for sever service is 7500 miles and 15,000 miles for normal usage so long as you use a good quality CI-4+ oil. I don't understand why anyone would think they would need to change the oil out sooner unless you only drive in stop and go traffic all day, idle for long periods of time or your drives are so short that the engine never gets up to operating temp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts