Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who lives in California who is looking at buying an out of state truck. What is required for him to bring it back to California? I hear there is a sticker somewhere that they will check for? What does it say, and can anyone take a picture of theirs so I can see what it looks like?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Unless it changed. He'll need to get the used truck weighed (scales), smogged, safety visual at DMV and pay the tax rate for the county he lives in. I believe the sticker your talking about is on the driver side valve cover that has what emission components that came from the factory for that year truck. Up to 2004.5 trucks. There was California and Fed emission trucks.

If it's a new truck. Then the dealer should complete all the paper work to be registered in California (electronically sent).

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
correct you buy from a dealer new or used and they do all paperwork and charge you the fees you need to pay up front.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mostly all covered already but have your buddy take it to a certified scale BEFORE going to DMV and if he can any Peace Officer or person who is certified to do a VIN verification, they can fill out the form that he can get from DMV take all that with him and it'll save him some heartache for sure. Hopefully the seller holds the Pink Slip or can get it quickly, that can add to the "issues" at our friendly DMV's!
Also I have never had the selling dealer pay the tax for me as it's too much a hassle for them with all of Calif. different rates. I believe it must have like 7500 miles on it (not 100% sure) some weird deal to try to keep people from buying new out of state. If he buys from a PP make sure he gets two bill of sales' one for DMV having a much lower purchase price :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.