Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

regen

948 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Goat Roper 67
is there any way to tell when it is happening or about to happen. im a diesel mechanic for a mack dealership and and the new macks trucks have a light that comes on and a switch that you have to push to start the regen. i wish mine was like that. but anyway is there any way to tell?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
It is my understanding that you can tell with an edge/attitude chipset.

It reads out when your in regen.

but it has been my expirence and what i have read here, that our trucks are in regen most of the time, unless your towing heavy, on the open roads.

"basicly, they just drink fuel"

· Registered
677 Posts
Not really, other than resetting your mph overhead display frequently. You will see real low mpg on the display. Another way is if you have an edge or other aftermarket programmers installed.

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Aside from the drop in OH mileage drop (which I've found to be minimal at 60mph) if you hear a rattling sound at idle then you know that a regen cycle is in progress - it won't regen at idle but as soon as you start moving again it will try.

· Diesel Jedi
246 Posts
is there any way to tell when it is happening or about to happen. im a diesel mechanic for a mack dealership and and the new macks trucks have a light that comes on and a switch that you have to push to start the regen. i wish mine was like that. but anyway is there any way to tell?
you can tell if you have a pyro and if you still have a dpf.....:thumbsup

· Registered
2,781 Posts
The truck does get a bit louder under the hood. It sounds like you can hear the motor, more. a deeper sound. Mine sounds like I can hear more motor noise coming through the air cleaner.

· Registered
5,872 Posts
The latest flash was "supposed" to give you a message on the overhead readout telling you the truck was in regen. From what I understand it doesn't do it though...

And yes, sadly enough, you can tell by watching your fuel mileage drop dramatically for no apparent reason.....

· Registered
71 Posts
I feel that if a complete regen cycle is critical to overall dpf preformance then you would think there would be a way of knowing without adding a tuner which will void the warranty. But I guess this wasn'tdodges fault either.

· Washington Chapter Vice President
5,035 Posts
I believe that dodge thought that these trucks would seamlessly Regen and that we would never have issues or have a need to know when its happening because the system worked flawless. Obviously they were wrong and a small Regen indicator would have been nice.

· Registered
100 Posts
About a month ago, I was pulling in at the house, and the overhead said Catalyst 70% Full. Then about 10 sec. later it said Catalyst 80% full, and then almost immediately after it said Regeneration. During the "Regeneration" it would flash the Catalyst % and kept setting off a bell as it went from 80 to 70 to 60, and then it flashed Regeneration Complete. All of this happened in about 2 mins, which makes me rather skeptical. I imagine it would take longer than that to make Al Gore happy.:ah:

· Registered
26 Posts
Regen Time

My 08 Mega goes into regen about every55-65 miles and usually takes 13--17 minutes to complete. My EGT's go from approx 900 to about 1150-1350 while in the regen mode. Frequency and duration will be determined by your driving patterns. I do a lot of city driving, but always run the exhaust brake and use the selector to keep my RPM's up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.