Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I spoke with ZZ Diesel in Kokomo IN. He suggested the DPF pressure sensor might be bad. I’m going to research how to check that before I buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The way to check it would be to connect a dealer level scan tool up, one that can see live sensor outputs and check that it is operating in the correct range. The pressure sensor can also get clogged up with soot.

But, the ecm should be seeing the sensor output, and should throw a code if it's not operating correctly.

Possibly you could use the alfa-obd, but I don't know if it sees live sensor data.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The way to check it would be to connect a dealer level scan tool up, one that can see live sensor outputs and check that it is operating in the correct range. The pressure sensor can also get clogged up with soot.

But, the ecm should be seeing the sensor output, and should throw a code if it's not operating correctly.

Possibly you could use the alfa-obd, but I don't know if it sees live sensor data.

I just looked. It appears my app has a DPF pressure pod for inlet and outlet. I’ll check if the truck is sending that value tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wht are you using to see the regen cycles?

Will the OBD11 tell you? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. I have the OBDLink ScanTool but didn't see anywhere where it tells me when it went through Regen. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Will the OBD11 tell you? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. I have the OBDLink ScanTool but didn't see anywhere where it tells me when it went through Regen. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
What software/app are you running with the OBD2 adapter? Most programs don't have the regen PID in the base app. You would have to add it manually. However you should be able to monitor EGT sensor3 and when it goes up over 1000 degrees it is regening

Reactions: jlreaa

·
Registered
330 Posts
My DPF guage never shows anything above zero. I use a standard amount of DEF but the DPF shows 0% ata ll times. How can that be possible?

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
My DPF guage never shows anything above zero. I use a standard amount of DEF but the DPF shows 0% ata ll times. How can that be possible?
What DPF gauge???

DEF usage and DPF regens have nothing to do with each other, two completely separate systems.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What DPF gauge???

DEF usage and DPF regens have nothing to do with each other, two completely separate systems.
It's not an analog gauge. Its a digital guage on the dashboard LED screen. it says "Diesel Particulate Filter and the a needle that goes from zero to 100. I think I saw a video where it read high until the truck went into regen. And then there was a red indicator that it was in regen.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It's not an analog gauge. Its a digital guage on the dashboard LED screen. it says "Diesel Particulate Filter and the a needle that goes from zero to 100. I think I saw a video where it read high until the truck went into regen. And then there was a red indicator that it was in regen.
Is that something new for 2019, I do not have that on my 2015 that I can find.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Yeah, lets see this gauge, post a pic of it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Pretty sure is talking about using an app with a gauge (torque Pro).

Edit: I guess the new trucks have a DPF % screen as shown above. Learn something new every day. First time I have seen that..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Edit: I guess the new trucks have a DPF % screen as shown above. Learn something new every day. First time I have seen that..
It’s still of no advantage to a 2500/3500 owner since there’s nothing you can do about it by knowing the dpf status. I’d imagine it only exists in the cluster because the 2019 cab and chassis trucks can perform a manual regen through that screen.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It’s still of no advantage to a 2500/3500 owner since there’s nothing you can do about it by knowing the dpf status. I’d imagine it only exists in the cluster because the 2019 cab and chassis trucks can perform a manual regen through that screen.
Yeah, wonder if its on the C&C only. It doesn't show in the owners manual for the 2019 2500/3500 trucks.

I monitor mine with an app. It's really just for fun (I like to tinker and monitor things) but I think it is helpful that I can see when it goes into regen and I'll keep driving until it finishes. Yes I know it will restart and finish next time I drive etc but I'd rather let it finish so it doesn't have to start to process over and get everything up to temp.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Yeah, wonder if its on the C&C only. It doesn't show in the owners manual for the 2019 2500/3500 trucks.
That screen menu is from a 3500 SRW, so it’s there on all HD CTDs. I was just saying it’s only useful for C&Cs where you can force a regen.

·
Cummins Dude
2,773 Posts
That screen menu is from a 3500 SRW, so it’s there on all HD CTDs. I was just saying it’s only useful for C&Cs where you can force a regen.
But not earlier than 2019 models.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Correct. It's on my SRW 3500.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
2018 and earlier don't have this, and this sort of thing is why there is now a 2019 sub-forum, so this has nothing to do with the truck that is the subject of this thread.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts