Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my truck in for a p2000 code, it already had the AX flash but not the EVIC reflash...so they finished it up by reflashing the EVIC and then cleaned my O2 sensors. After a 500 mile trip, my highway mileage has gone from about 15 to 11 hand calculated...and the EVIC still reads 2 mpg high at 13. I went back to the dealership today to have a chat. They agreed it wasn't right and to bring it back in on Monday so they could try to figure it out. Also, I talked with them about a DPF delete and Edge...and told them that guys are getting near 20 with this setup. Both the service writer and the tech said "Yeah, that's what this truck should be getting." But their hands are tied by having to call Star everytime and read all the run time numbers off so that Star can tell them that I don't have an aftermarket controller and they're authorized to perform service.

15-16 on the highway was tolerable...but 10-11 most certainly isn't. I don't understand why the mileage is so much lower when the truck has the same flash as it did before?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds like their(dodge) in bed with the oil companies. Delete the damn DPF and turn your truck into a REAL truck. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I had my truck in for a p2000 code, it already had the AX flash but not the EVIC reflash...so they finished it up by reflashing the EVIC and then cleaned my O2 sensors. After a 500 mile trip, my highway mileage has gone from about 15 to 11 hand calculated...and the EVIC still reads 2 mpg high at 13. I went back to the dealership today to have a chat. They agreed it wasn't right and to bring it back in on Monday so they could try to figure it out. Also, I talked with them about a DPF delete and Edge...and told them that guys are getting near 20 with this setup. Both the service writer and the tech said "Yeah, that's what this truck should be getting." But their hands are tied by having to call Star everytime and read all the run time numbers off so that Star can tell them that I don't have an aftermarket controller and they're authorized to perform service.

15-16 on the highway was tolerable...but 10-11 most certainly isn't. I don't understand why the mileage is so much lower when the truck has the same flash as it did before?
There is no way around that Damn DPF. It is just Bad engineering, any way you look at it. No regrets here, I just broke 20MPG yesterday. It took the computer two tanks to readjust to the EGR being gone and the DPF being removed (the 5" exhaust & Big intake doesn't hurt either).

Hang in there,

Yukon Chris

·
Registered
238 Posts
Poor Mileage

I was only getting 11 to 12 MPG and did the deletes and have seen an increase to 14 to 15 MPG. I have buddies who have the same truck and swear that they are getting in the 20s. I here so many differences. I just pump fuel and pay the bill.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
There is so many variables that go along with MPGs. Driving style, truck setup, terrain, speed, and much more. These trucks seem to have more variation in them than most. I see 17 MPGs as my truck sits on most tanks, but i do 95% city/town type driving. When i am on the free way, if i keep my speeds @ 65 i see 22. Speed up as little as 10 MPHs and i lose 3 MPGs. I dont know why the flash would kill the mileage that much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was getting around 18MPG with 95% driving around town before the last reflash I had. Now, I'm lucky to see 15MPG, and always have the CEL on w/p2000, p2262 codes. I've been driving my old truck a lot more with the high cost of fuel. Dealer keeps telling me to 'wait until the next reflash comes out' before they want to touch my p2262 problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one tech I talked to thought maybe the other tech had tried to adjust the pinion factor for my tires...I'll get the full scoop on Monday.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...so here's another thought on this one...

When I start the truck, about 10 sec later in makes a loud snorting sound, like a bull snort. While the dealer had it, they also replaced the hard line from the AC compressor to the dryer. Any chance that they loosened an intercooler clamp to install the line and then forgot to tighten it? That way when it initially fires up, it builds pressure to the point where it snorts? I don't have a boost gauge in the truck, but if it wasn't building boost, wouldn't that equate to really crappy mileage?

I visually checked the clamps...all seem to be there.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ok...so here's another thought on this one...

When I start the truck, about 10 sec later in makes a loud snorting sound, like a bull snort. While the dealer had it, they also replaced the hard line from the AC compressor to the dryer. Any chance that they loosened an intercooler clamp to install the line and then forgot to tighten it? That way when it initially fires up, it builds pressure to the point where it snorts? I don't have a boost gauge in the truck, but if it wasn't building boost, wouldn't that equate to really crappy mileage?

I visually checked the clamps...all seem to be there.
That bull snort is the AC clutch kicking in. All of these 6.7's seem to be doing that when the AC button is left on. Try and remember to turn the ac off before you start the truck and see if it quites, mine does

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
My truck is doing the same after the flash..I am getting less MPG.....I thought it was me but i ran 7 tanks and they were all close to the same. Going to call the dealer tomorrow

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer called today and said the tech had adjusted my pinion factor to try to correct for my 35s. I was 9.5% off before, which was nice because you could just round to 10% and easily know what speed you were actually going....now it's like 6% off...which will be a pain to quickly figure.

Anyway, the tech takes it on a 30 mile trip, says the computer stabilized at 14.5 mpg, and voila! it's fixed....to which I replied, I think not. I educated the service writer a bit about the computer's error factor, and the fact that previously on the highway the computer would read 16.0-17.5 when I was actually getting 15.5....so my truck isn't fixed. He agreed and said they'd try again tomorrow.

I also pointed out the fact that the only way to test it was for me to run a tank of fuel through the truck at $150 a fill up...and that I had neither the money nor the inclination to do so....and he again agreed. I told him to keep the truck until they had a more substantial fix performed.

We'll see what they find tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts