Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 07 need a new box, should I do the 09 conversion (bigger box) or stick with the 03-08 box. Either way I'm going to get a redhead, just wanted some opinions on if the bigger box is worth it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did they told me to stick with my box for the price reasons, I really don't care I just want the best box to handle 37's...... For at least a lil while

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have an 07 and I'm on my 2nd redhead box and my steering still feels sloppy.

The best solution I have found is to get a Borgeson steering box, Dodge Off Road has them.

If you have the 08.5 T style steering upgrade Dodge Off Road also makes a modified pitman arm that's needed for the Borgeson box.

I will be getting this one next...

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Went through a couple red heads. The key is to replace it all in swoop. You will chase problems around.

·
Now with Alien Technology
117 Posts
Been through three Redheads. Went with upgraded Mopar box. No regrets.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the 09 bigger box so hopefully were all good. The borgeson box I seen said it wouldn't fit with a suspension lift so that's why I didn't get it

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can get Borgeson boxes with a drop pitman arm now, so they will work with all suspension lifts. Just FYI for anybody who wants one but is afraid it won't work with their lifted truck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What makes them better than redhead and vice versa?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Redhead has issues with their boxes. I read about that on some other forums I'm on, and it looks like people here are having the same issues. I haven't seen any bad reviews on a Borgeson box. Borgeson has better quality control, no core charge, better warranty, and is a quick ratio. I think either one is a good option but Borgeson seems to last much longer.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Borgeson is a trick to get it in.. I personally don't like how they have you cut the splines on the inside of your steering joint to make it fit.

Redhead is nothing more then a rebuilt factory box that is to small to begin. They put an oversized bearing in there which to my why most redhead boxes I've seen shatter the teeth.

Mopar big box works very well

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say Mopar big box, do you mean 09 on up year trucks. Finally someone who doesn't prefer redhead boxes finally has a reason to back it up with, instead of just "they have issues". How often have you seen these teeth crack?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I can't believe how many people have red head issues. They are the best box builder in the nation. There must be a flaw with the box itself. Because I am sure you guys aren't as hard on the steering box as I am. I go offroading with a v plow and a gooseneck. But I have a second gen.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I will say don't bother with the borgeson box. Big waste of money and time. It can't handle the 37's. my stock box lasted 100000 miles, the borgeson box was leaking in the first two months. Replaced just recently with the redhead big box and it feels like a new truck all together. All three boxes were installed with a BD steering box brace, Thuren HD Steering system and carli stabilizer. I did change the shaft with the borgeson box and it fits the head head box. I like it so far. Miles of hard driving with 37's, towing 10k on washboard crap roads and it feels so much better

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got my redhead sittin on my bench just waitin on a sector bolt from bd then ill let you guys know how it is

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
It's Mopar part number 68170214aa I think. It is built by Chrysler as a replacement for all Third Gen 03-08 gear boxes. It is actually bigger then the 2009+ boxes.

People are floored how well their truck feels when they run the new box. Can it fail? Sure but I'm confident enough that it won't snap. You can go into any Chrysler dealership and get one.

·
It's Mopar part number 68170214aa I think. It is built by Chrysler as a replacement for all Third Gen 03-08 gear boxes. It is actually bigger then the 2009+ boxes.

People are floored how well their truck feels when they run the new box. Can it fail? Sure but I'm confident enough that it won't snap. You can go into any Chrysler dealership and get one.

Do you happen to know if PSC makes a larger sector shaft nut and bearing for their braces to use with the bigger box? Or do you have to buy a whole new brace?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The sector is the same size as the 09, when I was ordering a bigger sector shaft nut for my brace the part numbers were exactly the same for a 09 and a 03-08 with the upgraded box. All Chrysler is doing is making the 09 box avail for the 03-08 guys without having to buy a new steering shaft

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.