Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get free red diesel from my company occasionally and would like to avoid any dirt or particles in the tank so what is the best aftermarket fuel filtration system i can get for my truck? Prices would help too. Thanks fellas

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
I get that free stuff too.... I have a transfer tank that I pump it thru with a particulate filter. My truck runs just fine...I just change the fuel filter a lil more often.....be sure you use an additive when running that fuel...I use Power Service Diesel Kleen....and I've heard of people using Acitone(same as PS Diesel Kleen, but without the Anti-Gelling part) PM me if you have anymoe questions

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about an air dog or fass

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Should be just as "clean" as regular pump fuel. Except for the sulphur content. That could plug up your cat (if you have one) and you can't filter it out. DON'T GET CAUGHT. 1000 years of running that stuff won't pay for the fine.

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Thats goin to be a negative on the "1000 years of running that stuff won't pay for the fine. " I haven't paid for diesel in a year or better and I've saved enough money that I could pay a fine and still be ahead.....Absolutely no complains here.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
FASS and Airdog would be a good choice. Just get a 2 mic fuel filter and your set. Or you can get a setup from Caterpillar. 2 mic fuel filter, filter housing and all the fittings. Doesn't have the water/fuel separator though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that red diesel isnt dirtier than green diesel but off road diesel isnt generally kept in very clean tanks so i want to make sure i dont get any dirt or rust in my injectors. Will an air dog or fass help? Also the fine starts out at 300 and progresses with each offense up to a maximum of 10000 dollars

·
Registered
577 Posts
better watch out burning the red diesel ... my manager got slapped with a 600 dollar fine in dallas ... he wasnt even running it ... it was in the aux tank ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I work at an oil refinery and the only differance in the off road diesel is the color. Nothing special with sulfur and/or components. Taxes is the only difference. Down in LA you don't see red diesel to often any more because no refinery or distributor wants to bother with it. Too much money being made on diesel.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
better watch out burning the red diesel ... my manager got slapped with a 600 dollar fine in dallas ... he wasnt even running it ... it was in the aux tank ...
he should of fought that ticket

·
Registered
39 Posts
in a aux tank proubly hook directly into the truck fuelsystem Ibet, but just a guess. Magic word would be aux tank not tranfer tank.

·
Registered
434 Posts
They have to swab the tank to issue the ticket. If there was residue on the swab, that could have been cotributed from a transfer flow tank, there might be a problem. But, if there was no swab, then he can contest this in court. They tried that with me, they swabbed the tank on a farm truck, 3 miles from one of our hay fields. Of course we are running Off-Road Diesel in these trucks, they never are used other than on the Ranch. He didnt buy it, so he swabbed, and issued a ticket. It lasted until they called my name in the court house, and i told them the truth.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
dyed diesel is just like any other deisel, its colored so the diesel cops can try and find it in vehicles that are running on the highway trying to avoid taxes. Its freshness should be your only concern. Baldwin makes a 5 micron filter that I believe will fit your stock fuel filter housing :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My vendor tells me my offroad has more sulphur, and that the farm diesel has a LOT more sulphur. Enough to have to shorten service intervals due to ph causing corrosion from the oil being contaminated. And there are routinely traffic stops where I live for trucks to stick tanks, and the fines are often in the five digit range. Perhaps the laws are more relaxed elsewhere. I mostly burn biodiesel anymore anyhow. Easier to breathe, better lubricity.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yes every state has different fines if your caught using non taxed fuel on the road. in some states the first time you get caught it can cost you $10,000 but it sounds like TX is one of the cheaper place to be caught. In my area off road, farm and on road diesel is all the same ULSD. BTW off road diesel is just as clean as on road as some of farmers tractors cost a lot more then our trucks do and they don't like dirty fuel any more then we do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where's the filter for the red dye ?

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
offroad soots more, better for the motor, costs less, and hurts the environment more. what could be better?

·
Registered
129 Posts
you can have it in the auxilary tank... shouldnt get fined for that. thats like saying you cant even transport it.. and in the state of Texas you can be fined up to $10,000 they can impound your vehicle and take you to jail... i have read that in plain black and white.. thats no rumor

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here in Washington the State Patrol did an emphasis patrol for red diesel on the hwy I live on. $10,000 fine plus then your farm fuel tanks get audited. I know of one farmer down the road from me that ended up with $40000 in fines. Good thing wheat prices are up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts