Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everything is laid out and ready to drill. Looks good to me. What you all think? Gonna finish tomorrow.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Where you get those from? They look pretty sweet man. Hopefully u get headlights to match

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looks good! I have been toying with the idea of putting 2 more in the big spaces between the outside clearance lights.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I was thinking about gapping the #2 and #4 another 1/2" - 1" outward. I'm gonna see what it looks like in the AM before I sink the drill bit into the roof.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Looks good, cant wait to see them done and on.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it done earlier today. Must say it looks pretty good. Definitely like the smoked Recons on a white truck. I ended up moving the #2 and #4 light one inch more outward than what the first pic looks like. I liked the look better. Sorry about the crappy pic with the lights on.

#2 and #4 moved one inch farther outward as compared to the first pic in this thread.

Lighted.

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Looking Good....My dad has a white truck with Recon smoke cab lights and fender lights.....Did you hard wire them or use the connectors? Word of advice ir you used the connectors...go back and hard wire them. My dads flicker and dont come on sometimes because Recons connectors suck...but a good quality light...if they are hard wired....

·
Registered
235 Posts
nice job, looks great

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
what all is invlovled in the install. i really like the idea and have actually thought seriously about it just dont know how hard it would be. looks pretty sharp man. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
that's sweet, I wonder if anyone offers smoked lenses for OEM cab lights...

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
what all is invlovled in the install. i really like the idea and have actually thought seriously about it just dont know how hard it would be. looks pretty sharp man. :thumbsup
They look good buuuuuuuuut..........Take the screws out. Run down to Lowes. Find the exact ones in stainless steel. Also, while you are there, find the smallest "O" rings you can find. ( 1/8" ???). Leave the store before it gets too expensive. Go home and throw the screws Recon gave you as far as you can. Roll up the "O" ring on the stainless screws up to the head. NOW INSTALL THE LIGHTS.
In about 2 months the screws you have now will rust, leak, and leave brown streaks on your paint. I know, Ive seen me do it. :w:

·
Registered
661 Posts
i love the smoked on white. i would do what holysmokes said about the screws :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holysmokes.... Two steps ahead of ya. Already got stainless screws before the install. I used the flat thick rubber washers under the heads that the Recon's came with. I'll have to keep an eye out for leaks. We had a torrential downpour and pea sized hail a few days ago and no leaks. So far so good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Be careful of the spacing of the lights, there are specific minimum and maximum distance for the center 3 per USDOT. I believe that they have to all be within 12 inches. I will check my Motor Safety Manual tonight.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Good luck with that. Let us know what you find. U.S. Department of Transportation and all of its sub sites are a big piece of poo to try and find anything on.

My 2500 doesn't even require them. The only thing I keep finding is 2 are required for top clearance lighting and some babbling about only vehicles 80" or wider at the widest point. If the rule applies for no more than 12" center to center on the outer two of the three center lights, then even OEM is out of regs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looked it up last night, the three must be at least 6 inchs apart and not more than 12 inches, with the middle being at the middle of the roof. The outside 2 must be at the outer edge, but vague on the location. I have the manual, so I didn't try to find it online.

Be careful saying a 2500 does not require it. Virginia is enforcing the rule about having the roof lights if you pull a trailer over 80 inches wide. You don't need the rear bar unless the truck is over 80 inches wide (mirrors do not count), but dually fenders will put you out of compliance. I've been stopped and was given a warning by Virginia DOT at a road side inspection. Since then I have made a light bar to mount on the roof that meets the requirement.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Looked it up last night, the three must be at least 6 inchs apart and not more than 12 inches, with the middle being at the middle of the roof. The outside 2 must be at the outer edge, but vague on the location. I have the manual, so I didn't try to find it online.

Be careful saying a 2500 does not require it. Virginia is enforcing the rule about having the roof lights if you pull a trailer over 80 inches wide. You don't need the rear bar unless the truck is over 80 inches wide (mirrors do not count), but dually fenders will put you out of compliance. I've been stopped and was given a warning by Virginia DOT at a road side inspection. Since then I have made a light bar to mount on the roof that meets the requirement.
Wow, Virginia seems a little, um, anal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts