Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking through the archives at the performance modules that many of you use on the 6.7L. I just got my new 2008 Megacab 6.7 L 4x4 automatic 6 spd. a week ago, and need to increase the power. I see that most of you seem to use the MP-8 and/or the Edge with attitude. I am interested in one or the other/or maybe both. I am paranoid about over doing it and wrecking my tranny though.

Recommendations-- one over the other? Would using both at the same time be too much for the stock automatic 6 spd tranny? Would be nice to have something I could detach easy for dealer visits, but would also like something to help the auto tranny (shifting,etc). Thanks guys.

Brandt

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
The MP-8 is great for increasing the mileage and adding some power. The Edge adds more power than the MP-8 but doesn't increase the mileage as much. Most people stack the two to take advantage of what each tuner does best. The Edge has the gauges and built in safety features which are great. Your tranny will be fine if you stack as long as you use some common sense and/or take advantage of the safety features.

I would not recommend stacking the two if you plan on keeping the DPF in place because it will cause you to go into regen a lot if you do.

The MP-8 is easier to remove for dealer visits since you need to drill and tap the exhaust manifold for the EGT probe on the Edge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MP-8 sounds like it may be best for me to begin with then....hopefully a mechanically challenged guy like myself can figure out the installation. Would be nice to install it myself (then I will know how to remove it). I still do have the DPF, so stacking doesn't sound like a good idea now I guess. I'll have to find somebody to remove it for me and eliminate the EGR system eventually (I'm sure that voids the warranty also, so I should probably make sure my truck is not going to have problems before doing that??)

MP-8 (by itself) be better than the superchips flashpaq or bully dog power pup (by themselves) in anybody's opinion?? I don't seem to hear a lot of good things in the archives about the power pup.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
the SC and Powerpup are getting it figured out. All the flashes that these trucks were having was causing issues. I would say the MP-8. It will give you a little more pep and better mileage. It is fairly simple to install and once you figure it out you will be able to do it in 10 mins. Also with it there is no flashing the ECM like the Downloaders so it will leave less noticeable traces.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Don't forget about the Bully Dog PMT
I have one and there is no drilling and tapping at all
it simply plugs into the OBD port and it needs one power source from the fuse block under the hood. It gives you gauges and plenty of extra power

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget about the Bully Dog PMT
I have one and there is no drilling and tapping at all
it simply plugs into the OBD port and it needs one power source from the fuse block under the hood. It gives you gauges and plenty of extra power
Bully Dog PMT work on my 2008 6.7 L? Probably will throw a code for the dealer, right? OK with DPF?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It will work on your 08 but it will cause you to go into regen more and is easier to trace than the MP-8.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
The Bullydog PMT will work fine with your truck as well. Most that have gotten it so far seem to like it. Any chip you put on will cause more regens to occur if you are on it hard. If you drive normal and use it for the mileage increase then you should be fine. Should throw no codes and is traceable like every other chip is. If a dealer looks hard enough then they will find anything you have done to the truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much fuel mileage increase with the PMT? I had not even heard much about the PMT until I posted this thread. Just seemed to hear negative remarks about the power pup.

TD mp-8 vs. the PMT? Which would you get? How does each increase the power? Decisions!! Wish everybody agreed...this one electronic module is the best. PMT for the 2008 just came out, so maybe that is why I haven't read much about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts