Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, new to towing and diesels in general. Just bought a 2004 auto 4x4 with 150000 miles and not even two weeks after owning the truck starting seeing signs of blow by and shop recommended replacing the engine :confused:
So now I’ve decided to go all in on a complete rebuild(engine+tranny) and I’m looking for advice from the towing experts here! Wife and I are gonna clock 30,000 miles with our 10k 5th wheel just this year so I’m looking for the most efficient, safe and reliable build possible. So my question is, what would you guys do if you could start from scratch rebuilding your truck to tow? Interested in any advice or supporting truck mods for towing as well! Thanks

(Also not sure what is good etiquette or not for the site so please forgive me if I’m messing things up in anyway lol)

·
1,508 Posts
Get a DFC Diesel Engine.
I put a Tow/Haul Series in my 5500 was more than satisfied. Very good service and easy to deal with.
BBI .1 injectors
Install better fuel filtration. FASS, airdog, the list goes on. But is crucial upgrade. Stock filtration is inadequate for these fuel systems.
Transmissions i have no idea what lasts for autos. For reliability and best fuel milage go with a manual. Never had issues with a G56 other than OEM clutches.
Southbend or Valair clutches seem to be the top choices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, do you still add fuel treatment even with the fass or air dog set up?
Although I kinda regret buying an auto, gonna stick with it cause my wife doesn’t mind driving as well if it’s an auto. Do those BBI stage 1 injectors need a tuner? Definitely gonna get gauges but not sure about a tuner. Seems like a lot of guys swear by tuners as being better for the engine and some guys say it’s best left stock, but then again stock only got this engine to 150k

·
1,508 Posts
The stage 0.1 shouldn't need a tuner. There is a difference between the stage 1 and 0.1.
Recommend atleast a pyrometer with heavy towing.
I still use Lucas fuel conditioner and occasionally Amsoil fuel conditioner.
I would personally install a new turbo with a new engine of that expense.
That engine could have failed because of a failed injector due to inadequate filtration and washed out a cylinder. Very common with 03-07 CR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts