Cummins Diesel Forum banner

recommend a portable jumper starter and portable power source

8K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  TonyVato 
#1 ·
ive always been a big fan of having a portable jump starting device ever since I owned a tired old 1980 GMC 1500 which needed help starting every now and then. even now that I drive newer vehicles that never need the jump I still enjoy having a jump starter to help co-workers or to double as a handy portable power source to charge devices while out hunting.

can you all recommend a jump starter that will be capable of jumping my truck (see signature) and double as a suitable power source? it will need to at least have a USB and 12v outlet.

thank you
-matt

#4 ·
Just make sure whatever one , or two, you purchase are new as you can buy. Remember there is a battery inside, and they have a finite life span, just like DEF fluid. Don't buy one from a discount place like Olies and such.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Just to clarify, you got the 1000a? Have you had to use it?

Skimming reviews i wonder if its so bad, you’d need two. We spend a lot of time off highway where aaa won’t come save me lol

I was looking at getting 2 of these...
JUMTOP 2500A Peak 20800mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (8.0L Gas/6.5L Diesel Engine) Auto Battery Booster and Power Bank and Phone Charger with Dual USB Smart Charging Port and LED Flashlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBX24BV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_U8UlCbWG0ZTYX

#10 ·
Noco claims their 1000A model can only boost up to 3L diesel.
And the 2000A model up to 6L diesel.

That Jumtop brand claims it can boost a 6.5L diesel with 2500A.

Think I would want a 3000A or greater model for the Cummins.

Noco makes a 4000A model that can boost (they claim) up to a 10L diesel. Awful pricey though.

#12 ·
Someone somewhere probably has an adaptor and an app to jump my truck off of my iPhone?
I have looked at the options until i just gave up. With my luck the box sitting in my truck would catch fire and burn the truck to the ground right before it ignited my house.
Just living life on the edge for now without any jump start box.

Reactions: Jimmy N. and 7492
#20 ·
I use a jnc660 all the time. I've jumped Cummins engines and power strokes and every other gas engine just about. I was told it could jump an 18 wheeler if the batteries aren't totally drained. Haven't had the chance to try yet. I haul cars for a living so this thing gets lots of use. I also use the 12v power port on it to run my fan at night

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Matt6785
#21 ·
Been looking for a pair of boosters as well. Been stuck twice already with dead batteries. Luckily once was at work and one of our fleet trucks was able to jump me connected to just one battery. Anyone think that Noco 4000A would be able to jump connected to just one battery? It's a nice one but too pricey to have to buy 2. That JUMTOP 2500A is only rated for a 6.5 Diesel. Not sure I could trust that in the middle of the mountains. Any other suggestions out there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.