Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade the shocks that came with my 8" zone lift. They seem to be a little soft/bouncy for my taste. Going over speed bumps especially, the rear of the truck tends to bounce a couple times before it settles out.

I know very little about shocks. Does anyone have some reccomendations on what to get for an 8" lift?

I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for some top tier baja rated shock they use for vehicles climbing mountains, but I do want to get something decent. Preferably something that is a direct swap-in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What is your budget?
I really have no idea.... Like I said, I dont want to buy junk, but I dont need something crazy.

Would $100/shock ($400/set) be reasonable?

I was happy with the stock shocks that came on the truck if that helps at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm interested in this as well but for an 03. I have a similar budget and was told fox 2.0 would be in that range. Are they any good?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is there a certain way to measure which shock length I need?

Im assuming I can just go measure eye-to-eye shock length with the truck resting on flat ground, and get a shock with reasonable extension beyond that point, correct?

The bilstein 5100s seem to get decent reviews and are relatively cheap... I just dont know which lengths to get.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a certain way to measure which shock length I need?

Im assuming I can just go measure eye-to-eye shock length with the truck resting on flat ground, and get a shock with reasonable extension beyond that point, correct?

The bilstein 5100s seem to get decent reviews and are relatively cheap... I just dont know which lengths to get.
Bump... I would like to order some better shocks ASAP!

·
Registered
211 Posts
bilsteins are best bang for ur buck i have a few friends that have had issues with leaking seals with the fox shox... maybe because of our cold climate tho

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about sizing though? Ive found front bilsteins for a 6-8" lift so thats easy. As for the rear, I have 5" blocks.... so would I look for rear shocks w/ 5" of lift?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
We can tell you because of our winter here this past year, we ended up switching to (2) o-rings, (2) compression seals and (1) hard scraper for the shock shaft. This winter was really long, cold as hell and we had a ton of snow. Who knows, it might not be over yet!

JP

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
For that kind of lift...you are looking at an easy grand in shocks. If you want good shocks.....double that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For that kind of lift...you are looking at an easy grand in shocks. If you want good shocks.....double that.
Could you explain your reasoning please, rather than just blurting "yeah you need this duhhh"..... :confused013:

I see many members here using fox and bilstein on large lifts, and they dont cost anywhere near 1k+...

Seriously though, Im trying to learn here. Why do you think I need to invest in such a serious set of shocks?

Reactions: leonhardt86

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We can tell you because of our winter here this past year, we ended up switching to (2) o-rings, (2) compression seals and (1) hard scraper for the shock shaft. This winter was really long, cold as hell and we had a ton of snow. Who knows, it might not be over yet!

JP
That just makes the product sound like it does awful in cold weather :confused013:

I dont think I'll experience climates that bad luckily. Im in central Texas right now and I'll be moving to central california in august. The coldest weather i'll see is weekend trips to mammoth lakes, CA.

Could you by chance point me in the right direction to understand shocks a bit more? Im sure you dont want to write me an essay on here, but I'm curious as to why such expensive equipment is reccomended on here. I am curious about rebuildable equipment though. Im guessing thats more of a long term investment ei they last longer?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Your stock tire weighs about....60-65 lbs per tire.

Your 37" toyo's weigh....94 lbs per tire.

$100 shocks are valved for stock vehicles. You want something that can be valved for your application. Only way to do that is with an adjustable shock in the required length you need with the travel required by your lift.

Google is your friend. I imagine it is how you found this site. I would use it to learn about shocks and valving.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts

JP
No Kidding!

77 degrees here in Metro Detroit today but the UP of Michigan has 2 feet of snow still on the ground with another 10"+ on the way!

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
I would like to upgrade the shocks that came with my 8" zone lift. They seem to be a little soft/bouncy for my taste. Going over speed bumps especially, the rear of the truck tends to bounce a couple times before it settles out.

I know very little about shocks. Does anyone have some reccomendations on what to get for an 8" lift?

I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for some top tier baja rated shock they use for vehicles climbing mountains, but I do want to get something decent. Preferably something that is a direct swap-in.
Assuming that your lift just uses tall blocks in the rear part of the shudder is coming from the factory rear leafs combined with a huge increase in unsprung weight. Also what are you running for tire pressure?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Assuming that your lift just uses tall blocks in the rear part of the shudder is coming from the factory rear leafs combined with a huge increase in unsprung weight. Also what are you running for tire pressure?
wait, shudder? I dont have any shudder.

Although I did just play with the evic and check tire pressures. The shop aired em up to 70psi :doh: I'll be dropping that down today.

I chatted with JP and have some prodigys on the way as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts