Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rebuilt my 2012 68rfe according to the ATSG rebuild manual. I kept my pickup in park but installed the shift lever on the xmsn the way the manual showed (which was with the pawl just seated between the park lever and guide, ie: not in park). It didn’t occur to me to install the pawl in the park position until after I put the xmsn back in. Now the park cable and manual shift lever don’t line up (cable is about 5/8” too long). My question is can I fix this without pulling the extension housing and placing the pawl and gear in park? Can I install the xfer case and use it to turn the park gear so I can get the lever into park?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So that pin below where the manual shaft and lever assy mounts needs to align with something on the valve body? I’ve been looking everywhere in this manual trying to find where I went wrong.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yes. There's a slot in the cam plate (the part on top of the valve body with the detents on it that moves with the shift lever...well, it's supposed to anyway). The pin on the manual shaft need to engage that slot. Just pull the valve body down a little bit and look up there with a flashlight. You'll see that I mean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for taking the time to steer me the right direction. I’ll drop the pan and look tonight. Will the rod be able to slide forward toward the park gear without having to somehow turn that gear?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks a lot for taking the time to steer me the right direction. I’ll drop the pan and look tonight. Will the rod be able to slide forward toward the park gear without having to somehow turn that gear?
Yes, it will come forward. The park rod is spring loaded. If it isn't lined up, it will simply compress the spring and pop into place once the output shaft is rotated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s what it was. I dropped the pan and valve body and aligned the pin in the slot. Now the cable lines up. Thanks again for the help! I called a local shop (one I’ve used for a lot of my maintenance) and they seemed very reluctant to help or offer guidance. I’d assume they feel like I took money out of their pocket by attempting the rebuild myself, and I guess they aren’t wrong. They were scheduled to do the quick learn on it this Friday and get some business from me that way. Their attitude soured me enough to schedule the quick learn at the closest dealership an hour away. I appreciate you passing along your experience to get me going.

·
Cummins Freak
3,234 Posts
AlfaOBD will do a quick learn and a lot other things!! well worth the Money!!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
That’s what it was. I dropped the pan and valve body and aligned the pin in the slot. Now the cable lines up. Thanks again for the help! I called a local shop (one I’ve used for a lot of my maintenance) and they seemed very reluctant to help or offer guidance. I’d assume they feel like I took money out of their pocket by attempting the rebuild myself, and I guess they aren’t wrong. They were scheduled to do the quick learn on it this Friday and get some business from me that way. Their attitude soured me enough to schedule the quick learn at the closest dealership an hour away. I appreciate you passing along your experience to get me going.
Sweet! Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. looks like I buy the plug on amazon and then just download the software to my tablet? Does it walk you through the relearn or do I need to find instructions for that?

·
Cummins Freak
3,234 Posts
Thanks. looks like I buy the plug on amazon and then just download the software to my tablet? Does it walk you through the relearn or do I need to find instructions for that?
Yes, On my 2018 I am using windows but I'm sure android should be similar. Under functions go to engine and them you should see quicklearn RFE68 then it will walk you thru the steps!!! Get the MX plug and download the app thru the google store. If you have any questions the is a great thread on the Ram truck Forum with very helpful guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you know what the activation cost is? I see it is $49 to download the software but it won’t show the cost of activation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can verify that the android version of Alfaobd can now do the quick learn. When I built my 68 last year it didn't work but now it does. They must have fixed it in an update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it downloaded. I misread the page on purchasing the software. My OBD LinkMX+ should be here on Monday. Sure appreciate the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the windows version so hopefully it has the same fix. It will save me having to trailer the thing an hour to the dealership.

·
Cummins Freak
3,234 Posts
I got the windows version so hopefully it has the same fix. It will save me having to trailer the thing an hour to the dealership.
It will work!! That's what I use!! Let me know and I can walk you thru it!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the AlphaOBD app on my laptop I do not see my year pickup under “gearbox” it only shows “Chrysler Ultradrive automatic transmission” and covers MY2006-2011. The Aisin goes from 2007-2017. My pickup is a 2012 with the 68rfe. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Cummins Freak
3,234 Posts
On the AlphaOBD app on my laptop I do not see my year pickup under “gearbox” it only shows “Chrysler Ultradrive automatic transmission” and covers MY2006-2011. The Aisin goes from 2007-2017. My pickup is a 2012 with the 68rfe. Am I doing something wrong?
It will be under engine!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts