Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I understand why it is important to have a dually when towing. While towing this past weekend my tire overheated and blew the tread which took most of the side of my truck with it at 70 mph. :thud:I am kickin myself now because I almost replaced both back ones because they were looking bad. My tires were insanely hot where as the ford dually I was pullin with had both back tires really cool. I had always thought there wasnt much point to a dually other than stability and though the other two tires were overkill and a waste. I realized why so many 3/4 ton dodges have messed up fenders in the back and now I know why.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will post pictures later after I clean up the black tire marks which cover the side so it doesnt look as bad.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Bet the gave you a little scare!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
How much where you towing? Sounds like you overloaded the rear tires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was pullin a MASSIVE bumper pull that use to be a gooseneck and needs to be a goose neck. I will get pictures of it. It was my only option tho. I was definately overloading the tires and the hitch. I had noticed that there was a squishy part on my tread that was bubbled up (separating from belt) the day before and I shouldnt have been dumb and used it. I was lucky that a tires shop happen to stay open for me (it was 7pm when it blew), I bought two nice used tires for only 70 bucks mounted and balanced. I kept checking tire temp and pressure the rest of the trip.

·
Past IL VP
1,431 Posts
OR the air pressure in the 2 tires were different!

and the main reason I have a dually is so it doesn't tip over.... gotta have them training wheels!

·
Past IL VP
1,431 Posts
Sounds like ya got a good deal on the tires though!

·
It's got 12 Valves...
5,009 Posts
Well that sucks but glad you were able to get back on the road and going again :thumbsup

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked pressures before leaving, the other one was ready to blow too. It was almost too hot to touch. The tires that were bad were Sport King Radials. Yea Im happy with these used yokohama 3/4 tread tires I got now, handles better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was probably at 24000 total but didnt get on scales. I didn't get a good picture of the bent up fender since I spent several hours scrubbing rubber off. Since it is a white truck it didnt show bends well in the sun. I will post pics of the loaded trailer if I can get them form a friend. Im going to have fun trying to bend it back. Yall are going to think im an idiot for pullin that much with a factory towing hitch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
WOW. Thats about 16,000 pounds of trailer! (assuming your truck weights 8k fully loaded) Wiked!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't sweat ur truck not being a dually. If you keep a good eye on your rear tires, and make sure they are E rated, most of the time you'll do just fine. I haul a 35 ft. gooseneck horse trailer that weighs in at just over 7k empty. Add in four horses at 1200 lbs to 1400 lbs each, plus tack, plus water and hay and I'm usually rolling with a load weighing at 13 to 14k plus truck weight. Just gotta check those tires 'fore ya roll! That "bump" you had in the tire before you made your trip shoulda caused a wallet scramble at the local rubber shop!:$:

·
Banned
885 Posts
I pull a few boats 1 weighs 18k and the other is right at 20k... srw

I never give the tires a 2nd thought...just the trees and bridges

1 - 14 of 14 Posts