Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my truck in to the dealer last week to fix a leak in the rear sliding window. Water was driping down the center of the window and onto the rear seat. They said there was a TSB for it, resealed it and sent me on my way. We had a big rainstorm a couple days ago and the thing still leaks!! I took it back today and they are telling me they water tested it and can't find any leaks. Any suggestions what I should do? Truck has less than 4k miles on it :mad:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i gota buddy that has had this exact problem... actaully he is on here ilive4this i think or maybe its iliveforthis either way you maybe want to PM him and ask him what he is doing as far as this problem goes

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
could be the third brake light leaking or cabs lights maybe,
just a thought. get a water hose and just run in on the glass and check for leaks then move to the lights.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this happen to me. The first time it rained on my new truck water was dripping on the back seat. I took it to the dealer and they had an independent auto glass company come reseal the whole thing. While the guy was there he was kind enough to scratch my truck like I had ran through barb wire. Had to take the truck back twice more to get the scrathes out the best they could.:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine seaps from between the headliner and the sliding rear window. Took it to the dealer 5 times!!! and 2 different dealers as well, all brought in independent auto glass people it has the whole back glass replaced twice and the third brake light resealed everytime as well as the stains in the cheap cloth seats removed as best as possible and it is still leaking :CRY: I would have lemon lawed it, but i want my 5.9 not the 6.7

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mine seaps from between the headliner and the sliding rear window. Took it to the dealer 5 times!!! and 2 different dealers as well, all brought in independent auto glass people it has the whole back glass replaced twice and the third brake light resealed everytime as well as the stains in the cheap cloth seats removed as best as possible and it is still leaking :CRY: I would have lemon lawed it, but i want my 5.9 not the 6.7

Guess i need to get my membership badge? Was up at Estes Park this weekend and it rained all weekend long. Got in the pickup Saturday afternoon and the seat is stained and it was leaking right above the window, somewhere behind the headliner. Guessing it's from the 3rd brake light, but won't be sure til I take it down and inspect.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Has anyone tried anything like silicone caulking or liquid nail or anything like that?

No wonder the ford's used tar in their older vehicles...that crap is still tacky after 35 years! :rof

·
Registered
199 Posts
My rear window leaked as well. TSB says something about deformities between the cab and glass. Go to your local auto parts store and get some permatex flowable silicon window seal.I emptied a whole tube across the top of my back window and did the trick. It's runny enough to wick into the voids and seal it up. Just put some painters tape on the cab and the top of the window to keep the silicon off. If that doesn't work, look at the third brake light.

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
i had a simular problem. my cab was cracked behind the black covers on the rear of the cab. the cab was broke all the way down to the window. i pulled them off and added some bed sealer. also i had my back glass pulled and resealed because that became a issue too,

·
Registered
460 Posts
Permatex, got it.
I'll give that a try and see if i can seal this up before it becomes a real bad problem. The seat in the back is already stained, so hopefully i can clean that up too without further damage to the interior.

I'm out of warranty by about 35k miles, so I know I'm going to be on my own if i took to the stealer.

How difficult is it to remove the back of the head liner? Do I need to take the entire head liner out to perform this procedure?

Broke Down - the back of your cab was broke? Like the metal was split? Wholly crap....If that's what i have to look forward to, it might just be time to trade this thing in...just too bad I can't buy another diesel from them, looks like i'll have to go back to a gasser or deal with these annoyances that are going to start popping up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Permatex, got it.
I'll give that a try and see if i can seal this up before it becomes a real bad problem. The seat in the back is already stained, so hopefully i can clean that up too without further damage to the interior.

I'm out of warranty by about 35k miles, so I know I'm going to be on my own if i took to the stealer.

How difficult is it to remove the back of the head liner? Do I need to take the entire head liner out to perform this procedure?

Broke Down - the back of your cab was broke? Like the metal was split? Wholly crap....If that's what i have to look forward to, it might just be time to trade this thing in...just too bad I can't buy another diesel from them, looks like i'll have to go back to a gasser or deal with these annoyances that are going to start popping up.
Do it from the outside. There is a 1/4" gap between the top of the window and the cab. The tube comes with a screw on tip, stick it in the gap a squeeze. The tube has enough to go back and forth across the top of the window several times. Just try to be consistent with the flow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my 3rd brake was the culprit too. silicone fixed it

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
they are having to go back to Chrysler to get the glass replaced. They said I have a defective seal on the sliding glass.

·
Registered
460 Posts
what if we're out of warranty, are they still covering it or am i on my own. (Me thinks me knows this answer)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
if I was out I would probably just knock the window out and get a new one. But since there is a TSB that was submitted you should be able to take it back to them and see what they can do about it.

·
Regen? What's That??
1,058 Posts
What is the TSB on this? Mine started doing this, we just had a huge rain storm here overnight (it's AZ and does not rain much here... we normally see about 1 inch per year in this area... so far we have gotten 4 inches)

But at any rate.. is soaked the entire area behind my seating and down onto my amps... thus when I left today.. (I was not aware of this) and turned them on, and poof....

So, I am goona call my dealer in the AM, and find out what I need to do since there is a known TSB on this.

I took pictures of the area around the back window where you can clearly see where water has been coming in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I too posted before wondering about this because I got in my truck after it had been raining and it had a wet/moldy kinda smell inside.
but I have searched and searched and cant seem to find water coming in anywhere and even after letting it sit for a while I cant seem to find any wet spots in the interior either.

·
Regen? What's That??
1,058 Posts
Mine is coming in directly from the seal around the rear window... see pics.

I too posted before wondering about this because I got in my truck after it had been raining and it had a wet/moldy kinda smell inside.
but I have searched and searched and cant seem to find water coming in anywhere and even after letting it sit for a while I cant seem to find any wet spots in the interior either.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts