Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, the truck is at the shop and considering replacing the ujoints and rebalancing the shaft. Quote is about $900 . That it doesn’t include the center support bearing.

Just wondering: should we just get a 1 piece shaft? Not sure how much they go for now, but would love to hear your feedback.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
87 Posts
I was faced with the same issue with my shaft, a local shop wanted $1300 for the same service and a $300 inspection fee to see if a rebuild was even feasible. Promptly walked right out of there.

A few years ago I had Carolina Driveshaft make a new 5" aluminum one for just under $800 shipped. If I recall they offer the option to reuse your tranny yoke and axle flange to save a some money too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks @Yukon 400

I still can't believe the price.. at this point I'm thinking on doing them my self and save some serious funds!

Yet,if I decide to pursue doing it my self...wondering about the balancing on the shafts.

Never done it in the pass, but wondering what is everyones opinion on this matter. Is this a must when doing these repairs?

·
Registered
163 Posts
thanks @Yukon 400

I still can't believe the price.. at this point I'm thinking on doing them my self and save some serious funds!

Yet,if I decide to pursue doing it my self...wondering about the balancing on the shafts.

Never done it in the pass, but wondering what is everyones opinion on this matter. Is this a must when doing these repairs?
My front shaft vibrates at 70mph and needs to be balanced. After reading about someone's front shaft letting go and destroying the underside of the truck, I think I'll spend some cash getting it balanced.

I have the rear one-piece unit from Mopar and it seems to be holding up well. Previous owner put it on so no clue on mileage.

Reactions: Quest

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
87 Posts
Are your U-joints worn, or you are just doing preventative maintenance, also how is carrier bearing, splined section, also alignment / clocking of joints " any twisting of the shaft" ? If its just u-joints then the cost of parts is not much fairly straight forward. I don't have any experience with these but have considered using one, DRIVESHAFTS to avoid dealing with a shop while still having some sort of balance.

When changing out the shaft I came across two advantages of spending the money, first is how smooth the truck acted from acceleration to gear shift transitions up and down, before there would always be some sort of discontinuity or driveline noise, especially after changing to a dual disc things were magnified much more. Two of the original joints were good, one had a little roughness in a small section. Carrier bearing spun freely and rubber looked ok with no cracks or tears, but it did move around a lot under load. The other benefit is without the carrier bearing mount I was able to fit a second fuel tank on the passenger side without clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
When I bought my 06 Megacab the previous owner hand the receipts for the 2 piece shaft rebuild. It was $1,100 for new ujoints and a new carrier bearing. It vibrated on take off, and it had a harmonic HUMMMM to it on the highway.

I ordered a 1 piece shaft and all that went away. No more driveshaft vibes, no more hum or shake. Worth every penny and you can do it yourself in the driveway with a few hand tools.

Reactions: Quest
1 - 6 of 6 Posts