Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed when walking up to my truck from behind that it appears my rear passenger wheel has a bit of negative camber, while the driver side doesn't.

This all has me a bit nervous as we just bought a new 5th wheel about 6 weeks ago that is likely taking my rear axle right up and personal with its max.

Truck drives normal and all, just wondering if this is a normal thing, or if it needs to be looked at?:confused013:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
As far as I know there is no camber adjustment in the rear. Its a solid axle. That's why you only have to get front wheel alignments and not 4 wheel alignments.

R.K.

·
HI
3,444 Posts
Not to be a smart arse but check your lug nuts and see if they are tight. Like stated above there is no adjusting camber on rear axle.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it was a bent axle wouldn't there be some wobbling associated? it might be all perspective, however my FIL looked at it too, and he thought it kind of look "off" as well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
if it was a bent axle wouldn't there be some wobbling associated? it might be all perspective, however my FIL looked at it too, and he thought it kind of look "off" as well.
What are you using as a guide to get this perspective ?
Have you modified the truck ? Lifted it or changes tires/wheels ?

·
Registered
661 Posts
You could have a slightly bent axle tube that could cause negative camber. The wheel bearings and axle shaft won't like it for very long though.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Reviving this old post.

Was there a resolution to this? Did it turn out to not be off or what was the problem? I ask because I had an alignment today that showed the same thing. I was looking at it on the rack while I waited around and it looked like my rear passenger tire might be leaning in. The numbers said the same thing, a little out of spec leaning inward. Tire wear looks even, though.

I have the added concern that I had a catastrophic wheel bearing failure on that side not too long ago. The outer bearing totally locked up but, aside from an initial jolt and loud squeal (which I did not know what it was), it was absolutely quiet for the next 50 miles. Then it started squeaking during lefthand turns. The shop said no damage was done to the axle tube but I have to wonder how not, driving with a locked up bearing for 50 miles. I have been thinking of taking that side apart and looking at it myself, for my own piece of mind (or to find out if there is a problem).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Maybe a design feature to help with road crown. Not sure tho never took notice of that issue. Park n a garage and place a 8 inch level on the top of the tire and see how it looks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Or when in the garage put a tall enough square against it to see if it measures the same distance to the rim at the top and bottom.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just measured it. Driver's side is about the same top to bottom (using a bubble level and a ruler is only so accurate) but passenger side is tilted inward like the alignment said. It doesn't sound like much (0.58 degrees) and I wouldn't think it would be noticeable but I sure was seeing it and it is out of spec. As a further test, I tried it with the rear jacked up enough to get the weight off and noticed no significant change in the readings.

While it does appear the rear camber measurement was accurate, I gotta say I really don't trust alignments. When I brought it in, cross caster (front end) was only 0.1 degrees. Caster (front) was way off due to installing a leveling kit and me trying out different amounts of caster but cross caster was good. After he adjusted the cams, with both pointing to the same mark (same as each other, different from what I had), the left side read 4.2 degrees caster while right was 2.1, resulting in a cross caster of 2.1 degrees! Considering that cross caster is welded in place when they manufacture the axle, it is impossible for it to change when adjusting the cams. The last time I had it aligned (prior to the leveling kit), that shop's machine did the same thing. Of course, everyone wants to adjust the cams to different marks to get rid of that cross caster but all that does is fool their machine somehow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts