Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is just about to hit 200,000 and my rear main seal is currently not leaking. I have my trans out right now and it's getting re-built and my clutch is at SB getting some work done on it. I've heard that in these trucks the rear main seems to just randomly start leaking unexpectedly sometime. Are these seals common to go after so many miles or do they have the potential to last for the life of the motor?? I have only put the last 50,000 miles on my truck as the first 150,000 were the previous owner, and to my knowledge the rear main has never been replaced. Should I replace it while I have everything out and waiting to get parts or should I just leave it alone????:doh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It cost about $80 at Cummins, that is where I bought mine, because it is a Cummins! You can get FelPro cheaper, but????

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It cost about $80 at Cummins, that is where I bought mine, because it is a Cummins! You can get FelPro cheaper, but????
I know that's it's a cheap part and it's not the cost that concerns me. I'm just trying to find out if theses thing will eventually leak no matter what or do they have the potential to never be a problem. I'm all about preventative maintenance but is this one of those things that if it's not a problem don't mess with it kinda things????.:confused013::confused013:

What do you guys think should I replace it or just leave it alone?:confused013::confused013:

·
Registered
544 Posts
if it were me and it wasnt leaking i would probably leave it alone, sometimes putting new seals in might create a leak since your seal now is worn in and not leaking, but if you put a new seal in its possible it might leak or it might not, if its not broke dont fix it. thats what i think anyways

Reactions: Michigan24v

·
Registered
544 Posts
oh if you decide to change it look to see if it has a wear mark on the crank, if it does i would suggest getting the new seal that comes with the metal sleeve that slides on the crank so it ensures a smooth sealing surface with the new seal

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
2nd gen trucks the seal seems to last forever. I have worked on some that had 400 k on them and they were dry I would leave it alone. Now if you had a 3rd gen truck I would bet money it is leaking see them with only 30 k and there leaking

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
oh if you decide to change it look to see if it has a wear mark on the crank, if it does i would suggest getting the new seal that comes with the metal sleeve that slides on the crank so it ensures a smooth sealing surface with the new seal
Well I did replace min at 244K, and zero wear mark on the crank.

·
Banned
432 Posts
Well I did replace min at 244K, and zero wear mark on the crank.
I replaced mine as well....200k on the clock. I had no wear marks or grooves on the crank.....although the FSM says the seal can be driven in 1/8" further if the crank is grooved, or use a speedi-sleeve.
I looked at it as preventive maintenance.....I was replacing the clutch and flywheel anyway and that's not a job I care to do again just to replace the rear main......

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'd do it...and I'd probably speedi-sleeve it. I did my front crank seal last year, and didn't speedi-sleeve. I was back in there immediately. My rear main is weeping now - couple drops occasionally. It'll get a new seal and speedi sleeve when the tranny comes out for R&R.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the useful input. Im gonna leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Anytime the trans is out, the rear crank seal gets replaced on any of my vehicles. Always has been and always will be.

Reactions: raiden

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put a clutch in mine 2 months ago and it was dry so i left it alone..now its leaking oil..id replace it while ur already right there..o ya i got 255,000 on mine

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I did my clutch back at about 150K and it was dry then and still dry now at 192K... :party018:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.