Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear main was leakin reallyyyy bad so we put a new one in, I just want to know if it is safe to start the truck with the transmission still on the ground, just to see if the seal is still leaking. I don't wanna get everything all back together and find out that it still leaks...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump...need some help fast guys

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bad idea. Engine is not supported as well due to the tranny not being there. Also, less rotating mass to keep the engine running smoothly as well as helping it start.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The fan would most likely hit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did it. Everything went fine. The truck did not leak while running. I had it running for 20 minutes with no leak...then, as soon as I shut it off, it poured out oil from behind the clutch just like before, only this time, after it lost oil pressure. Any ideas? It's WEIRD

·
Registered
850 Posts
sure you put the seal in correctly?.. not saying you did but it could be a possibility

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well I did it. Everything went fine. The truck did not leak while running. I had it running for 20 minutes with no leak...then, as soon as I shut it off, it poured out oil from behind the clutch just like before, only this time, after it lost oil pressure. Any ideas? It's WEIRD
i am not sure if this will help you or not, but i just went thru these same things with my truck. after pulling the transmission 3 times for this same leak :banghead: i found that the seal retainer was faulty. It can also leak oil out at the bottom of it where it bolts to the oil pan and it can enter behind the flywheel and look just like a rear main seal problem. as far as the loss of oil preassure i couldnt tell you really where to start. It could be possible that the oil sender may be going at the same time, who knows??:confused013: i think that i would check your preassure with a guage and make sure that it is not your sender.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure I understand you concept on the pressure?? The motor IS building oil pressure...and not leaking. It's only after I shut the truck off that it starts to leak...

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I would say that the cold oil probably didn't find the hole. After running for 20 mins and getting warm the oil was flowing well enough to find it. I would pull everything down and inspect the rear structure. You should be able to see where it is coming from once you get the flywheel down.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i replaced my rear main seal 2 weeks ago and i looked at it today and it seems to be leaking worse then it was? what could cause this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
are you sure that it is the rear main seal leaking? there are a few other places that fluid can be leaking from around that area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts